DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Looking for more capacity

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  fa_f3_20 
#1 ·
Hello spark enthusiasts!

I am living in a 30 y.o. home that I purchased last year and would like to get a few more breakers installed. I would like to run the computers in my office off their own line, add an isolated line or two to the kitchen (everything currently on the same circuit) and a few other places in the house.

Also, there are a few beakers that have been double-tapped. That's probably not legal.

I think 6 more breakers are all I would needed. To be on the safe side, let's call it 8.

With the exception of a possible dehumidifier in the crawl space, I would not be adding much additional usage, just separating things out.

What would be need to be done to add this extra capacity?

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
I know the sub panel is the easiest way and would work fine but I'd like to just suggest you look into replacing the main panel for a larger one. It's really not that much more difficult and would look much cleaner.

Reasons: The current main panel is a small one and to add a sub you will loose 2 more slots on the main (to run to the sub). This would mean the sub would have to be a larger one. To run the current circuits to the sub there might be splicing involved in the panels anyway which is ok but you may get by with fewer or no splicing if you just replace the main.

That said, I'd look into replacing the main but if it turns out to be a headache then the sub will work for sure. Just remember to run the neutrals and grounds seperate in the sub panel.

#9 · (Edited)
Replacing a main panel, even a small one, is usually more complicated than adding a subpanel, even a large one.

1. You may need a separate permit on top of the permit for adding more circuits in the house.
2. You may need to coordinate the installation with the power company since the feed from the meter has no shutoff or breaker (overcurrent protection) specifically for your house.
3. There are many more cables and wires that need to be unhooked, perhaps rerouted a tad, and hooked up again.

With a subpanel, only enough circuits need to be rerouted from the existing panel to free up breaker positions for the subpanel feed.

Reactions: MurphyMan
#10 ·
Okay gents and ladies. I get the picture.

I think my preference would be to have a larger single panel, but on the other hand, the sub panel would probably be easier. I am in no rush, so I will spend some time cogitating on it.

Thanks for the advice. Plenty to chew on.:blink:

Murph

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.