DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Go to amazon and search miter saw in amazon..
at the left side there is category brands mention you can select by brand like DEWALT,Bosch,Ryobi etc you can check by blade sizes, Power Tool Cord Style, used new conditions...

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,462 Posts
Carlos.....

A lot depends on your expected uses...Homeowner or professional...rough work or finish....storage issues....your wallet...:wink2:

Just some considerations for you to consider:

10 or 12 inch.....12 will give you a deeper cut or thicker compound cut. I like to keep all my blades the same and 10 inch works fine for my multiple uses and matches my table saws. 12 is more pricey in both tool and blades.

Sliding arm or set chop.....Sliding arm is nice for doing wider lumber...Sliding takes more storage room and harder to transport and probably introduces some varience in angle for the cheaper arms over the long run. I use a regular 10 chop style and find it perfectly usefull....yes I have to flip a board over to finish a cut on boards wider than 6 but that is not difficult.

Double or single compound: The double will give a compound in both directions...or else you have to flip things around to get your correct cut...kinda a pain in ass...but I live with the single compound....sorta wish I had the double though as angle compounds sure make me stop and think.

I think they all do now, but make sure your table will rotate a degree or two past 45.....sure helps fit strange angles/fits.

I don't think much or use those laser line things, but they come on most saws now.

I have found an adjustable handle convenient for me.

For homeowners and lighter use, I have recently been impressed with Royabi for value....I don't have any but I would consider them now especially as I'm mostly retired.

Depending on your use, consider weight...mostly involved in steal or aluminum tables.

Good luck....

·
Naildriver
14,198 Posts
You said "good", so I guess you don't need to look at the best. I have a 12" Ridgid slider on a rolling "gurney". Great for jobsite work, trim, framing, etc. I also use a Hitachi 12" for a "carry about" saw for small jobs. They both work great, but you'll have to corner that with the amount of money you want to spend. Ryobi makes good saws. Their table saws had a propensity for burning up motors, so I'd stay away from their table saws.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,462 Posts
Larry.... Interesting about table saws.

My son has built two Cali (small but alot of fat Douglas framing/hardy siding) homes with a Royabi table. He has beat the H out of it and I was surprised that it is still running.

Does it have much left in it...I don't think so, but it has sure surprised me to date.

(I had taken out a belt drive Craftsman to him but it got stolen and he had quickly gone out quickly and bought the Royabi for like $150.)

·
Naildriver
14,198 Posts
I have two burned up Ryobi table saw carcasses in the barn. I guess I'm just too hard on them. Shop table saw is a Delta 5hp unisaw. I guess it'll be cutting long after I'm gone. Likewise my old 73 Craftsman table saw is in the barn collecting dust. Just never find time to put it on the auction site or yard sale site.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
I have owned a lot of miter saws. My favorite is a 10" sliding compound saw with a laser guide light. It doesn't have a lot of limitations that other styles have. Any decent brand will work well.

·
In a little over my head
1,369 Posts
What will you be using it for? I have a 10" slider that works great. (It's a Delta. I don't think they make it anymore. So that doesn't matter.) But it's heavy and unwieldy to carry. Sitting in my shop, it's perfect. But if I was planning on carrying one to a jobsite, then to the second floor to cut trim, I'd get something smaller and lighter.

·
Usually Confused
7,956 Posts
As mentioned, a lot depends on what your intended uses are going to be and what you budget looks like. I have a Dewalt 12" double compound slider with stand. It's probably more than I need but it was a really good sale. I wouldn't want to be lugging it around much. If you are just going to be putting up trim you can probably get away with smaller.

I previously had a Craftsman and my S-in-Law has another store house brand (Canadian Tire 'Mastercraft') and what I see with the cheaper lines is much sloppier stops and pre-sets. Whatever brand you get, I would double check the set-up out of the box.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I myself have the 12” Dewalt double compound sliding with stand too. Sale price made it hard to resist and my friend gave me his Dewalt stand he never used.

Retired guy from Southern Manitoba, Canada.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts