DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting a basement remodel and planning to take out a couple of walls to open the basement up. I'm 99% sure the walls are not load-bearing, so I'm just hoping for help to get that 100% confirmation. I'm a DIYer with some moderate experience around my own house, but any thoughts from more experienced contractors and structural engineers would be greatly appreciated.

The link below has a bunch of images including two diagrams with the floor layout and the walls I'm planning to take out.

http://s920.photobucket.com/user/jmai14/library/Basement Remodel

A couple of other notes:

-I started the demo today so I could get a better view of what was behind the walls, but I've only taken down the drywall. All the frames are currently still up. I also have yet to take down the drywall around the closet in Room B, so the view there is still obstructed in the photos.
-There's an I-beam above the basement ceiling, which goes from left-to-right in the diagrams. It's supported by two metal posts, one of which is not visible in the photos as it's under the stairway. The I-beam and posts is the main reason I'm pretty sure the walls are not load-bearing
-The ceiling joists between the basement and 1st floor go from top-to-bottom in the diagrams, so they're perpendicular to the I-beam.
-One of the support posts was hidden behind Wall 1 in the diagrams. Whoever did the prior work used 2x4s to frame the wall, but I guess that wasn't thick enough to hide the post, so they nailed on 2x2s to the 2x4s. Why they didn't go with 2x6s I have no clue.
-I'm not sure if it's really visible from the photos, but there are no pieces of lumber larger than a 2x4. I also haven't noticed any areas where multiple 2x4s were stacked (other than standard door frame stuff) which I would expect to find if the walls were load-bearing.

Let me know if you need any more details to give an informed opinion. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
37,410 Posts
I see no way that's a supporting wall.

·
Framing Contractor
1,512 Posts
Absolutely not a bearing wall. The steel and posts are providing the support. Just verify that the steel has not been cut or altered in any way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts