DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a heck of a time finding the part I'm looking for either at my local home improvement warehouse or online.

I need to fit together the 3/4" inner diameter PVC drain pipe from my air conditioner to the drain pipe that it was connected to (dumps to household plumbing). The pipe was sheared off due to physical force and it would cost me too much to replace the inner drain pan of the air conditioner. There's no water pressure to speak of, so leaks are not a concern. The drain emits about one drop per second at its maximum rate (that I've seen).

If I had a soft rubber, tapered, barbed, 3/4" inner diameter female-to-female pipe fitting, similar to the product at http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/LASCO-Coupling-6MM76 (picture attached), I'd be good to go, but I just can't find one made of soft rubber. I tried a hard plastic one but I couldn't get enough leverage in the tight space to get it into the plastic piping. Besides, I think the plastic piece is really for connecting two female flexible hoses together, not PVC piping.

Anyone know where I can find such a fitting?

Thanks,
Matthew

Attachments

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
If it's really PVC pipe you have, PVC fitting go on the outside of the pipe not the inside. If it was on the inside it would restrict flow and cause a build up where molds going to set in and block the pipe.
Can you post a picture of what you have.
If you think a reguler coupling will not work, try a hubless connector. Nothing more then a rubber tube with 2 hose clamps.

The one you posted a picture of is for black Poly pipe or rubber hose. Not a hard breakable pipe like PVC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Good idea from both of you, but they won't work. The pipe sheared off too close to where it exits the air conditioner housing. See pic. Rotate picture 180 degs -- t's upside down for some reason.

I think a small funnel, only a couple of inches tall, might just be my best option.

Attachments

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
Looks like you snapped off the threads and there still left in the hole.
The right way would be to remove what's left of the threads, clean up the treads with a wire brush the shape of a tooth brush and in replace that broken Street elbow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Careful when you say I did it. I didn't.

Anyway, the elbow doesn't actually have any threads. If I could somehow glue to the two pieces back together such that the bond forms a seal, I'd be back in business.

Any glue/bonding recommendations?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
Look at the fitting where the threads are, see how jagged it is?
I can see the threads up inside the hole were it was screwed into.
You need a new street elbow, short piece of the same size PVC and a PVC coupling to rejoin the pipe after the old elbow is cut off.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
If you don't have an easy out, and many DIY ers don't, the broken piece in the pan can be removed by splitting it in 2,3 or possibly 4 pieces using a hack saw blade and prying the sections out. I would probably use a saws all but that can be a little risky and one can't feel when the threads are reached like with a hand held blade. Sometimes good things take a little longer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.