DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had two screws that were with the electrical plate covers. I tried screwing them in and about halfway through they got stuck. I've tried unscrewing, using pliers. At this point other than getting a new electrical outlet unit I don't know what to do. Any ideas on removing these screws?
Grey Creative arts Art Visual arts Wood

Grey Art Auto part Wood Ink

Rectangle Grey Light switch Box Paper product

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Totally wrong screws. They should be 32 threads per inch, and are typically about 1/2-3/4 in length. You have probably bunged up the receptacle threads so badly that even the correct screws will not work.
Do not waste your time trying to take them out. The only thing I’d do is cut the head off if I wanted to save the wall plate.

Replace the receptacles, use the correct screws.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
"We could almost buy our own outlet for that!"
"But who's gonna install it, kid? You?"
"You bet I could! I'm not such a bad electrician myself. C'mon, we don't have to sit here and---"
"We'll pay you 50 cents now, plus $3 when we get the outlet."
"$3.50? Okay, you guys got yourself an outlet.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
That receptacle 15 amp duplex white, not tamper resistant is $0.71 at my local Lowe’s.
$0.61 each if you buy the 10 pack.
Getting 10 or more, plus wall plates, would not be a bad idea. I’d wager he has some more old ugly receptacles around the place.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Or you could buy spec-grade receptacles in the $3 range, and have self-grounding in metal boxes... and the ability to back-wire without the hokey backstabs being involved. It's also a much better-made outlet.

Remember replacements may need to be TR (Tamper Resistant) if Code requires TR in new work. There's no such thing as grandfathering when replacing ano outlet.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Or you could buy spec-grade receptacles in the $3 range, and have self-grounding in metal boxes... and the ability to back-wire without the hokey backstabs being involved. It's also a much better-made outlet.

Remember replacements may need to be TR (Tamper Resistant) if Code requires TR in new work. There's no such thing as grandfathering when replacing ano outlet.
What a joke, you think the code police investigation cops look into every outlet sold??

·
Super Moderator
17,336 Posts
What a joke, you think the code police investigation cops look into every outlet sold??
No, but we try to give accurate code compliant answers. TR receptacles are required during replacement.

Reactions: AndyGump
1 - 14 of 14 Posts