DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing some work on a log cabin built with 4x4 square logs. there was no tounge and grove put in when it was built so now that the logs have cured and shrunk, there are fairly large gaps between some of them (up to 1/2") and rain is comeing through. I was thinking about filling the gaps with "great stuff" foam, letting it dry, trimming it with a blade, and staining over it with "cwf" exterior stain. Great stuff claims to be okay for exterior use and stainable, but I have never used it for this application before. Does anyone have any experience with this? Sugestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
That would not be my choice. Urethane foam does not do well in sunlight, unless fully protected, and it does not move with the wood. Modern chinking stays pliable and breathes with the house. Not sure of the composition but probably similar to urethane caulk, NOT that same as urethane foam. I would use foam backer rod and urethane caulk. Or check suppliers for log homes for proper chinking.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi! another loghome owner here. You need a good source because you may need chinking instead of caulk. Any caulking on a log home needs to expand and contract with the wood, and the one I use has a lifetime warranty, and matches the stain making for lots less labor. You don't want to use something you have to tear out and redo every few years. Sounds like your gaps are large and may need chinking I use perma ***** products and they have a great website. Just type in permachink and go to the main site . They have a wealth of information on the care and maintenance of log homes. Everything you will need and are very knowledgable over the phone to help with every problem. They have caulk, stain, chinking, restorers, preservatives etc. etc. Very good products, I use them on mine. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts