DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve just moved into a house built in the 1950s. Most of the wiring is fine but one outlet has an open ground. I saw this with my little outlet tester and I confirmed by measuring 121V hot-neutral, 9V neutral-ground, and 10V hot-ground. This circuit has 2 outlets total, and the other one is fine.

I removed both outlets, leaving the wires hanging free. Now I still measure voltage at both outlets, and the grounding hasn’t changed. How can the second outlet have a good ground if the first one is broken?

I thought outlets always run in a chain, so disconnecting the first one should kill power to the rest. Inside the main panel I can see this breaker has only one hot wire. There are no splices inside the breaker panel. So it seems like there must be another box somewhere I can’t find that splits the wire to these 2 outlets?

·
Super Moderator
9,273 Posts
Do you have two wire or wires in the box?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Has this house been rewired? 1950's was cloth wire and no ground for the most part. Have you looked at the other receptacles saying grounded? These 2 receptacles may have been added from an ungrounded source.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The box has one black, one white, and one ground coming in. Most of the cable sheaths do look like cloth, but every other outlet in the house includes a ground.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Not to say it is your situation, but FYI, back then kitchen metal boxes were grounded via a bare wire running outside of the romex box to box to a metal water pipe which could get disconnected during remodeling.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally I found what seems to be the good outlet upstream of this bad one. I’m thinking the easiest solution now would be to fish a new bare ground wire from one box to the next. I’m not sure if that is allowed or if I have to run a new 14/2 with ground.

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,690 Posts
Finally I found what seems to be the good outlet upstream of this bad one. I’m thinking the easiest solution now would be to fish a new bare ground wire from one box to the next. I’m not sure if that is allowed or if I have to run a new 14/2 with ground.
Run a new cable.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

Reactions: joe-nwt
1 - 7 of 7 Posts