DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this weirdly tall 8' closet in my office at home that I would would like to take the sliding doors and header out to make into open shelving, but when I took down the drywall I noticed that it has a 4x4 header for the door rail to screw to and a double 2x4 at the top. The furnace is near this wall in the ceiling and when I went to double check it looks like right around the area there are what look to be 3 trusses joined together and the ceiling starts slanting upward away from the closet opening.

Could this be a load bearing opening? I'm not looking to spend a lot on this project, so if I need to spend $$$ to get an engineer involved I will likely just give up on the idea.

I also drew up a crude layout of the area, there's two bedrooms (one is the office) with side by side closets, the green line is about where the triple trusses are and the red box is approximately where the furnace is.The brown on the left is the side yard

Attachments

11,730 Posts
I second/third that... with triple-ganged trusses supporting the other (right-angle) roof trusses in hangers.(Double-check) No bearing below required. IMHO, the sharp bend in your flex (loss right there) ducting may be restricting airflow by 40%; http://rockwallcontrols.com/Residential/?tag=air-ducting

Gary

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I second/third that... with triple-ganged trusses supporting the other (right-angle) roof trusses in hangers.(Double-check) No bearing below required. IMHO, the sharp bend in your flex (loss right there) ducting may be restricting airflow by 40%; http://rockwallcontrols.com/Residential/?tag=air-ducting

Gary

Thanks for the heads up on the ducting, we are having someone over for an annual check up and i'll see what we can do to address that :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.