DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently joined here because I have a question concerning loud, popping/creaking noises that are coming from a particular area in my apartment.

I live in an apartment with 24 units in it. It's 3 story, and was built in the early 80s. Wood construction in New Orleans area. I have been living here for a few years now, and have been at least content with it.

However, in the last few months, there have been popping/creaking/thumping noises coming from the wall area behind my bed in the bedroom. The apartment managers determined it wasn't a headboard from the neighbor, and allegedly walked around upstairs in the apartment opposite me and on the third floor and found no popping/creaking/thumping noises.

Allegedly the neighbor across from me does not hear the sounds either, but I have actually been able to record them (wish I could put the sounds up here so someone can hear it!) and they tend to occur at specific times in the early morning (5:30-6:30 AM) and late, late night (around 2-3 AM), and periodically throughout the day. It's not just single, solitary popping sounds either. It's numerous and they last a few minutes, though not necessarily constantly as can be heard in the recording.

The sounds are loud enough to wake me up. I am at a loss as to what to do, and the apartment manager has already replaced the floor joist? above me because THAT was broken, as it turns out. I don't know what this noise is, but would appreciate ANY information anyone might provide, or if you need more information, please let me know. I'm really about to lose it.

Again, I have the recordings, if anyone wants to hear. I recorded it on my cell phone by placing the phone behind my bed near the wall that I feel the sound is coming from.

Thank you again.

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
Heating pipes expanding and contracting in length each time the boiler cycles on and off and, when passing through a tight hole in the wood framing, they stick and slip with small noisy movements. (?)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Heating pipes expanding and contracting in length each time the boiler cycles on and off and, when passing through a tight hole in the wood framing, they stick and slip with small noisy movements. (?)
There are no pipes in this wall. Its not water knock, I believe. It sounds structural. It happens when the person above me in the apartment next door (3rd floor, I am 2nd) walks around or moves around her bed near the wall. I know this because I asked the apartment manager what is in that room above me and next door. Thats what the manager told me.

And this happens also when I don't hear the water running (either being flushed or rushing through the pipes when the person is using it).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.