DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The previous owner of my home used Liquid Nails to glue Tile to my fireplace surround. I pulled the tile off to reveal the original brick, but now I want to either get the liquid nails off or re-finish the surface to maintain the brick look. The Bricks are scored so when I heat and try to remove the Liquid Nails I take some of the brick with it. So even if I can get all of the liquid nails off, the bricks will have large dents in the scoring where the liquid nails once was. If I can't get the liquid nails off without doing damage to the brick, is there a technique I could use to re-surface the bricks with an extra layer of brick like material (not structural, aesthetic) to cover the liquid nails and the other damage already on the surface without losing the brick look?

·
JUSTA MEMBER
17,397 Posts
The previous owner of my home used Liquid Nails to glue Tile to my fireplace surround. I pulled the tile off to reveal the original brick, but now I want to either get the liquid nails off or re-finish the surface to maintain the brick look. The Bricks are scored so when I heat and try to remove the Liquid Nails I take some of the brick with it. So even if I can get all of the liquid nails off, the bricks will have large dents in the scoring where the liquid nails once was. If I can't get the liquid nails off without doing damage to the brick, is there a technique I could use to re-surface the bricks with an extra layer of brick like material (not structural, aesthetic) to cover the liquid nails and the other damage already on the surface without losing the brick look?
You might try a wire wheel on a grinder to remove the glue.

This will probably take a bit of brick off too.

But there is a Brick Veneer product, that goes on with mortar, to resurface the entire fireplace surround.

ED

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might try a wire wheel on a grinder to remove the glue.

This will probably take a bit of brick off too.

But there is a Brick Veneer product, that goes on with mortar, to resurface the entire fireplace surround.

ED
Thanks Ed!

I thought about trying to grind off the glue a while back, but I am concerned about dust as this is an interior project - do you have any advice on how to reduce risk to my family and pets if I were to go this direction?

Thanks!
Emmett

·
JUSTA MEMBER
17,397 Posts
Thanks Ed!

I thought about trying to grind off the glue a while back, but I am concerned about dust as this is an interior project - do you have any advice on how to reduce risk to my family and pets if I were to go this direction?

Thanks!
Emmett
A shop vac rigged as a dust collector, right at the work surface, around and near the wire wheel contact point.

Edit: and maybe build a tent surrounding the area, from clear plastic sheeting, to contain any stray dust, so you can clean the small area before re-opening up to thee family.

ED

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
If you can not remove it with out damage to the brick you may want to look at refinishing using a Synthetic product like STO Creativ Brick
You can also get Brick template / Stencils from Concrete Coatings.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Unless you intend to grind the ENTIRE surface down, you will always see the repaired areas. Perhaps veneer brick?

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,882 Posts
Assuming you can get the bulk of the glue off, I wouldn't bother with trying to grind/scrape/wire wheel it all off. If you're willing to spend the time and money to reface it with thin brick, I'd simply use a decent modified thinset and attach new thin brick over it. There's a lot of options out there for material, but these are undoubtedly the most common that I lay, when it comes to thin brick:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts