DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I've been doing masonry in France for years. I'm used to using NHL-3.5 lime in a 1:6 lime:sand ratio. I'd like to do some masonry here in the states, but I can only find Type S lime.

How do the dolmitic limes here compare to the natural hydaulic limes there? I can't find anyone who compares them side to side. I could have the lime imported, but that seems extravagent.

On a related note, anyone know when I can buy a good rubber 2.5 gallon bucket? A 5 gallon paint bucket with a cheap wire handle just won't cut it.

Simon

·
Retired carpenter
303 Posts
Howdy,

I've been doing masonry in France for years. I'm used to using NHL-3.5 lime in a 1:6 lime:sand ratio. I'd like to do some masonry here in the states, but I can only find Type S lime.

How do the dolmitic limes here compare to the natural hydaulic limes there? I can't find anyone who compares them side to side. I could have the lime imported, but that seems extravagent.

On a related note, anyone know when I can buy a good rubber 2.5 gallon bucket? A 5 gallon paint bucket with a cheap wire handle just won't cut it.

Simon
Try mixing some Type S lime with sand using the same 1:6 ratio. My guess is that you won't know the difference.

The only mixing tubs/troughs I've seen in the US are cheap plastic. If I were a mason, that's the kind of thing I would import.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try mixing some Type S lime with sand using the same 1:6 ratio. My guess is that you won't know the difference.

The only mixing tubs/troughs I've seen in the US are cheap plastic. If I were a mason, that's the kind of thing I would import.
The list of things I can't find here in the states is starting to get my panties in a bunch. It's not even masonry specific items. Shovels, picks, and now buckets.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts