When a large appliance starts, should I expect the lights to dim? I think lights dimming means that the voltage is dropping. Is this really hard on appliances? Or is it hard only in theory? In some ways I tend to think nothing bad will happen if I don't fix the problem. I think I have too few circuits. Getting the central fan damaged from a voltage drop would be a big problem. In the long run shortening the life of appliances such as a washer, dryer, microwave or fridge would all be expensive. Does anyone have any advice?