DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When a large appliance starts, should I expect the lights to dim? I think lights dimming means that the voltage is dropping. Is this really hard on appliances? Or is it hard only in theory? In some ways I tend to think nothing bad will happen if I don't fix the problem. I think I have too few circuits. Getting the central fan damaged from a voltage drop would be a big problem. In the long run shortening the life of appliances such as a washer, dryer, microwave or fridge would all be expensive. Does anyone have any advice?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,468 Posts
You have what is known as a current limit,
can be caused by an over loaded electrical system,
Also can be a faulty system ( loose splice ) dirty bus.
Can also be an overloaded local electrical grid.
does it happen to your neighbours as well ?
tell us more about your existing electrical system
size, brand, loads
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,174 Posts
Check the voltage (at a different receptacle will do) as opposed to current or amperage.

How low does it dip?

Try several receptacles. Are there some that do not suffer a voltage dip?

After the appliance gets going does the voltage return to full value?

Note: If at one or more receptacles the voltage rises when the appliance starts then you have a "serious" problem with neutral connections.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A voltage meter shows a temporary dip for about two seconds or less with the 1000W microwave starting or the dryer starting. Then the voltage returns almost (very close) to the original voltage. I don't know if it happens to the neighbors. My electricity usage is probably significantly less than a typical neighbor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
A voltage dip as low as 3 volts AC can result in light flicker, women seem to notice this more than men, based on my unscientific poll, in that I have only been hired by women to investigate this problem in their houses, most of the husbands just wanted to pacify their wives.

This is a result of voltage drop from the utility transformer to the point of use.

Or as noted can be a result of a wiring issue.

There are few fixes for this issue as the drier is on both legs of the service. You can put all the lights on a UPS.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top