1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts

getting_started - you said
We just moved to a new apartment
If you are renting this apartment you
have absolutely no right/authorization
to alter any electrical in this apartment.

Only replace light bulbs. This is not your property if you are renting it. Doing any kind of electrical work such as changing switches, receptacles etc puts the liability on you if something were to happen. This more than likely is written into the lease. If it is not it is understood to be not allowed.

Anything electrical for your apartment must be done by an licensed electrician hired or approved by your landlord. Even if you were a licensed and insured electrician renting this apartment you would still not have any right to do any electrical work in the apartment without the written approval of the landlord. Even if you were willing to pay for the electrician I would have the landlord select the electrician.

·
Registered
884 Posts
getting_started - my apologies. I totally missed the fact that you are located in Germany and it is the electrical system in Germany we are discussing in this thread. Normally when someone from a foreign country asks a question it is usually noted by someone that this is a US forum and the electrical systems are different. That is only said so there is no confusion on anyone's end. Answers can be totally different when working with US and out of US power systems.

Since I did not know you were in Germany and installing/changing electrical things in a rented apartment is the "norm" there I did not know. I just hope there is no liability issues if something does occur.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.