DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just moved in to a new house and we realized that there is no heat. I am pretty sure the pilot light is not lit on the furnace considering I see no flames when I look through that little sight picture glass (pictures in my album). I have no experience lighting pilot lights, especially on furnaces.

From what I have gathered you usually have to push in a pilot button but my button just has an on and off position, doesn't seem to push in.

Also I'm not sure where I would ignite the pilot or if that little white switch (pictures in album) is what I use to ignite.

The gas valve says it's on, not sure if it is or isn't. Also there is a little light switch next to the furnace, i'm assuming that's how you turn on/off the electrical.

My uneducated guess was to remove that cover where the sight glass is and light it through there ....but I did not want to blow up the house today.

Does anyone know how I would go about lighting this furnace ?

Thanks in advance ! :smile:

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Your gas company may offer a free furnace pilot lighting service - if your furnace has a pilot light.
How old is the furnace?
Newer furnaces don't have pilot lights, most use spark ignition.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh alright thanks, i'll check that out if it seems too difficult. I believe the furnace is from the 90's but I could be completely wrong. The house if from 1908.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gave gas company a call and they couldn't really help over the phone and they charge for the service. I am probably going to wait a bit and see if anyone knows how to do it.

·
Registered
13,857 Posts
Your unit shown in the album pictures does not have a standing pilot, it's lit by a spark every time there's a call for heat.

You should get it checked and serviced. It's important to do that after buying a house even if the unit appears to be working fine especially when it's over 20 years old.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i figured it out, I had to hold down that white button for a while and it lit ! We have heat, thanks everyone for the help.

·
Registered
13,857 Posts
It's possible the gas valve was set to off.

Otherwise, you should not have to touch that knob.

It lights every cycle.

The inducer (fan in upper compartment) should come on, after a delay it should spark light the pilot, burners should come on, then blower 30 seconds or so after ignition.

Furnaces still heat fine but can have bad heat exchangers which pose a co poisoning risk. They can also be dirty and completely out of tune yet still heat. You really need to get it checked given its age.

Here's one, same or similar model as yours directly from this board:

Please get it serviced!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts