DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, it is an old house, there is a light switch on the wall that is 8ft above the floor... too high to reach.

If i can find a pull switch like the one in the pic, i can then the switch verdically lower for people to reach.

But where can I get a pull swtich? doesn't need to be fancy. HD doesn't carry any pull swtichs. Amazon.com doesn't have any....

Anyone knows?

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've never seen a switch like that, but then again, I don't get out much. More curiously tho, why in the world is that switch 8 feet up? ...does it control the light in that room or something like an attic light?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Look in the lighting department or go to a lighting store. These are added to light fixtures. You can also get extension pull chains for things like ceiling fans. Those might clip onto that chain.

Note that if you move the entire switch down, you could probably install a regular light switch.

(I say probably because there may be some reason that is like that???)

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Hi, it is an old house, there is a light switch on the wall that is 8ft above the floor... too high to reach.

If i can find a pull switch like the one in the pic, i can then the switch verdically lower for people to reach.

But where can I get a pull swtich? doesn't need to be fancy. HD doesn't carry any pull swtichs. Amazon.com doesn't have any....

Anyone knows?
You should be able to get chain like that and a joiner
like the one in the picture, from a cheap jewelery store.
You can then just extend the existing chain.
That way you dont have to change the existing switch.
Easy as !

·
Retired Moderator
25,768 Posts
Billy Bob nailed it----after you get the switch---look at the cover plates---you will find one with a small hole in it---the switch should go right in.

·
Electrical Contractor
44 Posts
That is pretty common in early 20th century victorian homes, at least around here. I would use that as a junction box and drop a new switch down to a comfortable height. We have to install them at max height of 48" to meet ADA.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Billy_Bob said:
Look in the lighting department or go to a lighting store. These are added to light fixtures. You can also get extension pull chains for things like ceiling fans. Those might clip onto that chain.

Note that if you move the entire switch down, you could probably install a regular light switch.

(I say probably because there may be some reason that is like that???)

not sure if i asked the question right.

im hoping to find a pull switch to put in the current high switch box, w/o actually moving the box.

light stored?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
not sure if i asked the question right.

im hoping to find a pull switch to put in the current high switch box, w/o actually moving the box.

light stored?
So you have a regular "flip switch" up high. And you want to replace that with a pull switch?

If that is correct, then the switch/wall plate in the links above will work.

Or you can get any "blank" wall plate, then go to a "machine shop", take the switch, and they can drill the right size hole for it. (Or ask a friend, whatever...)

Again you can get these pull switches in the lighting department of a home improvement store.

Blank wall plates (no holes) are in the electrical department as are wall plates with holes in them like above.

Longer chains in the lighting department.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Just curious,....Do you know what this switch does? If not, could this be a shut off for the heating system? A lot of homes have the furnace shut off high on the wall near the door to the basement/utility room. Often with a red switch...sometimes lit...

Can you post a picture?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So you have a regular "flip switch" up high. And you want to replace that with a pull switch?
Exactly!! That is my question.

The pull switch would work , but i have a hard time imagining how to stabilize it in the switch box and with the face plate. anyone can help me?

To 1910NE, I once opened the wall and saw the wiring. So, yes, i am sure that the switch only controls a ceiling fan and the light under it.

thanks all

1 - 11 of 11 Posts