DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out how to make one of my lights into a 3 way.

Right now I have 2 lights in my kitchen controlled by 2 switches, but on the other wall there was a switch that wasnt hooked up to anything, and I am hoping I can make it a 3-way to control one of the lights in the kitchen/dining are.

Here is a picture of the switches that are working now, the one on the left controls dining, right kitchen. i am guessing that the kitchen/right side switch isnt set up for 3 way since it only has 2 wires, hence no traveler?

Here is the box where there was a switch but not hooked up to anything

And here is the ceiling box for the light

What do I need to hook up to make this a 3-way system or is that even possible?

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
You will need to string a 3 conductor cable between the switch locations in order to have a 3 way switch setup.

Now I don't know who makes one but there may be such a thing as a wireless three way switch kit that would let you use the existing switch location with just a 2 conductor cable. This is not what is known as a 3 way dimmer, that also needs 3 conductor cabling.

·
Remodeling Contractor
3,590 Posts
In your case an electronic X10 switch can be programmed to work as a dimming three way from either location since the same power and neutral are available. The typical travelers in a 3 wire between switches are not needed for these switches. You can find them at www.smarthome.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.