DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put a light in my basement ceiling right where the clamp is located in the picture. That grid runs in the center of the room. I'm seeing two options:
1. Can I cut the grid and add some framing above to hang the grid on each end of the cut.
2. Use a plastic electrical box and notch the box to sit over the grid so the grid would end up basically running through the box.

Attachments

· Registered
2,294 Posts
I want to put a light in my basement ceiling right where the clamp is located in the picture. That grid runs in the center of the room. I'm seeing two options:
1. Can I cut the grid and add some framing above to hang the grid on each end of the cut.
2. Use a plastic electrical box and notch the box to sit over the grid so the grid would end up basically running through the box.
I would suggest removing the piece of T bar in question and then use a 2X4 tile with a hole cut for the electrical box!

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I REALLY want to center the light across the room so I don't want to move it over but I might consider that.

Thanks for the idea of a 2 x 4 tile. I had not thought about that! But, that is a 48 inch "beam" there. Would I need to completely redo the grid around that? Could I just cut it off there and add a hanger wire at that junction?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.