DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Newbie Bill
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,

I have an issue that has arisen for the second time now and am wondering if it is just me that has this problem. And also looking for any solutions out there.

We have a problem where the ceramic socket ring that holds the glass shade up loosens up over time and the shade slowly starts to work its way off of the socket base. We have been lucky enough that we see it start to happen and get the shade off before it falls off.

I went to our Home Depot to locate replacements and they do not stock socket rings. I am going to stop in at one of the large light stores in town later today to see if they have a supply of replacements.

So does anyone else experience this problem?

Do you guys have any quick fixes for this or is obtaining replacement socket rings my only option?

Picture of socket ring attached in case I am calling it the wrong thing.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've never experienced them backing off. I usually tighten them at installation pretty good. I always put the flange side on first, so I can gain access with needle nose on the nub side.

·
Newbie Bill
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UnPhased347 said:
Does that ring screw onto a ceramic insulator around the socket, or does it attach straight to the negative metal shell?
It screws on a ceramic insulator.

I went to a big light store in town this afternoon and they had one laying around that they gave me. It is very obvious that the old ring is about a 1/16th of an inch larger in diameter than the new one. So it seems the original ring either came too large or expanded over time. So I think I should try to locate a few more replacements as we have 3 of these fixtures.

I will keep that o-ring idea in mind as well.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you don't need to take the shade off to change the bulb, have you considered putting a small dab of glue on it where the ring meets the threads? It should keep it in place and if you just use a bit you should be able to break the bond if you really need to get it off

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Glue is a bad choice if you do not know how strong it is after years of heat curing. If you must try something, I would suggest Lok-tite.

I haven't ever had any problems with the rings backing off, if they are adequately tightened. I need to use socket collar/ring tools in some cases because large hands and/or small shades can prevent you from getting it tight enough.

·
Super Moderator
16,898 Posts
Take the bulb out and gently twist with needlenose pliers on the tabs to push against.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Plastic sockets use plastic rings. The rings come in a few different sizes and threads.

Porcelain sockets use metal rings.

These sockets can be used base up for glass shades.
---------
Brass sockets with rings are meant to be used base down for fabric lamp shades.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem and I can't get my fingers up there to fix the problem plus the ceramic ring is very difficult to turn.
Suffered through the same issue - couldn't find a tool - always out of stock! Tried this this morning and ...it worked!!! Hold your hand under the socket and lightly spray a very small amount of WD - 40 on it - rub the very top of the socket ring with what WD-40 fell into your hand - then have someone with small hands twist it on!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.