DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...new to the forums here.

Last night, my old pull cord light fixture (with 1 light bulb) above the dryer crapped out; it won't shut off when the cord is pulled, so I tried to replace it.

I bought a Hampton Bay pull cord light @ Home Depot with 2 lights, but when I took it out of the box, it had 6 wires (3 White, 3 Blk), but there are only 3 coming out of the ceiling (White, Blk, and ground).

Is this common, and is it something I can put in, or do I have to stick with the one light type pullcord light?

I appreciate greatly any adice you all may have; thanks in advance.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Common yes. Something you can do yes, as long as you shut off the breaker that powers the junction box. Hopefully you did not unhook anything, and leave the six wires hanging loose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Common yes. Something you can do yes, as long as you shut off the breaker that powers the junction box. Hopefully you did not unhook anything, and leave the six wires hanging loose.
Yes, I followed the basic stuff, but didn't want to screw anything up, so I put the old porcelain fixture back on, since the two wires hanging screwed right into the terminal screws on the fixture itself. We have to unscrew the lightbulb currently to turn it off...

I was concerned as to whether I should wire all three whites to the white from the ceiling as well as the same for the three blk wires from the new fixture to the one blk wire coming from the box as well, or if any of the 6 wires on the fixture were a ground even though they're all either white or black.

·
Super Moderator
9,447 Posts
Did you buy a fan light kit to hang from the ceiling?

If you did, I don't thnik they are listed to be used that way.

·
Super Moderator
9,447 Posts
Connect all the black wires to the black wire, and all the white wires to the white wire.
There should be a bare copper wire that is the ground also.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Just unhook the black & white from the fixture, and reverse the process. No need to undo all the wire nuts. Pretty straight forward, two wires from two screws. Black to Brass, white to silver. As for the wires on the fixture, one will be black, the other will be white.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts