DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tiella 800CBL5PN, Accent Electronic Low Volt Surface Track Lighting Kits, 100 Watts Halogen, Nickel

Hello all. The name above is the light fixture i am having issues with. I am finishing my basement, and the wife decided she liked this light, as we already have one upstairs in the kitchen. Long story short, i we hooked it up, with the normal bulbs that come with it, and the light flickers. The lights closest to the wiring seem to be the brightest, with almost no light to even flicker at the lights furthest away.

An electrician told me the transformer (?) might be bad. So i bought another one, used the new transformer thingy (round metal housing, with wiring, etc) and connected it to the cable with lights hanging from it... and it still flickers!

The light that i took down was just a cheap fixture. switch doesnt have a dimmer.

Wirenuts and all connections are tight.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
21,812 Posts
Parallel means the two wires on the switch are extended, while leaving them connected to the switch, and your door switch is connected to the new wires.

9f608eb3535e36c7b57c6292cbaf5708b95b2107_large.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the fixture?

All lights flicker, or just one?

What is voltage across the long bars ?
Yep, that is it.

All of the lights flicker. The lights furthest from the wiring are the dimmest, lights closer flicker with more brightness.

Not sure of the voltage... i know nothing about electric :0

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
You'll need to check the voltage on the transformer, both primary and secondary. Since you already tried a different transformer, it sounds like the 120 vac circuit may have a bad connection somewhere. Your electrician can check that out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You'll need to check the voltage on the transformer, both primary and secondary. Since you already tried a different transformer, it sounds like the 120 vac circuit may have a bad connection somewhere. Your electrician can check that out.
Thats very helpful.

Thank you

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
Those are not long bars, they are cables.

Did you tighten the Allen head set screws on the lamp sockets (2 per socket) after plugging the lamps in ? They should be firm or snug, not overly tight.

What about the thumbscrews where the five fixtures contact the cables ? Are those good and snug ?

Loose connections at above points can cause your problems.

Put the 2 Allen wrenchs some place where you can find them. You will need them to work on the fixture if you don't have the right size in your tool kit. The smaller wrench will be needed to loosen those hex screws when you have to change the halogen bulbs. Saving the instructions is also a good idea.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those are not long bars, they are cables.

Did you tighten the Allen head set screws on the lamp sockets (2 per socket) after plugging the lamps in ? They should be firm or snug, not overly tight.

What about the thumbscrews where the five fixtures contact the cables ? Are those good and snug ?

Loose connections at above points can cause your problems.

Put the 2 Allen wrenchs some place where you can find them. You will need them to work on the fixture if you don't have the right size in your tool kit. The smaller wrench will be needed to loosen those hex screws when you have to change the halogen bulbs. Saving the instructions is also a good idea.
Yes, everything is snug. Guess i will have an electrician out to troubleshoot it.

On another note, what would you consider reasonable price to hang 6 light fixtures. Flush mount LED light fixtures. Just normal 11" light fixtures.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts