DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to open a load bearing wall, and putting in a steel I beam as header. As per engineer calculation, the I beam would be about 12 ft long and 300 lb.

Normally, after the proper temporary support walls etc, we can just put up the I beam with to people to replace the old wall. My question is would 300lb too much for two guys to handle ? I remember usually contractors use a small digger or something to hold a beam of that size.

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Muscling it up into place is the hard way. Check local rentals as suggested to see what they have.
If you go with two guys remember, it only weighs 300 pounds if you lift the whole beam. one end at a time would be far less.

Not mentioned, but why steel and not one of the engineered lumber beams, much lighter and you can nail drywall to them. A steel beam will require being boxed in.

Bud

Reactions: Shrewboy

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,129 Posts
300 pounds seems light for a 12 foot steel beam.

·
Contractor/Engineer
1,439 Posts
4 guys - 3 to lift and one to run back and forth hammering/guiding the ends into position.

As stated above, get more guys -> buy more beer -->> increase friendship through common labor.

Reactions: Fix'n it

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
300 pounds seems light for a 12 foot steel beam.
25 lbs/ft. Not that light for a steel beam for residential. Read on.

Not mentioned, but why steel and not one of the engineered lumber beams, much lighter and you can nail drywall to them.
The least depth and smallest capacity steel beam of that weight, a W6x25, has more capacity than a 6x16 LVL. An older configuration S shape, commonly referred to as "I beam", would be a S10x25.4, and would have significantly greater capacity than the W6x25. A deeper wide flange beam, such as a W14x22, would have 73% more capacity than the W6x25, and it would take a 5x24 LVL to match the capacity.

The LVLs would weigh the same or more than the comparable steel beams

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Love your numbers :)
Bud

I don't recall it mentioned as to what is above this beam, living space or attic?

·
retired framer
49,109 Posts
Lifting it is a problem you solve right after you figure out how you get it in the room, before or after you build the temp walls.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
One other guy and I put a heavier beam in his house but I was 30 years younger than I am today. Are the two guys Democrat pansies or Republican men?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Iv done this by myself with a heavier steel beam about 15ft long,. I used an engine hoist to pull it up to where i could swing one end into place, Then positioned the hoist under the other end to lift that end into place. By the time my son showed up to help the beam was up.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lifting it is a problem you solve right after you figure out how you get it in the room, before or after you build the temp walls.
you just reminded me!!! Taking it to the room on 2nd floor is more of a problem.

I may have to switch to flitch plates, multi ply of 2x8 and 1/2" steel... I was trying to eliminate labor. but I may have to take pieces in the room and assemble the flitch plate in the room....

·
retired framer
49,109 Posts
you just reminded me!!! Taking it to the room on 2nd floor is more of a problem.

I may have to switch to flitch plates, multi ply of 2x8 and 1/2" steel... I was trying to eliminate labor. but I may have to take pieces in the room and assemble the flitch plate in the room....
Or lvls but 8" would be small, have you had it engineered?

·
JUSTA MEMBER
17,390 Posts

On the second floor, things go in through a WINDOW, using a lift outdoors to get it up, then in, then maneuvered inside with jacks and blocks.

Made onsite to get it installed.

Get the local high school football team for a few hours.

ED

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
That's stupid, not even funny to bring in. I know Dem badasses and Rep pu**ies. And women who could show up many men.
Nice sense of humor.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I may have to switch to flitch plates, multi ply of 2x8 and 1/2" steel... I was trying to eliminate labor.
No way a 1/2"x7 1/2" steel plate would be equivalent strength-wise to a 25lbs/ft beam.

You might be able to substitute a pair of channels, but your engineer would have to size them for you. Not sure what the actual beam size is that the engineer specified, but if it's one of the shallower (shorter height) sections, such as a W6x25 or an S10.25.4, you can get the same capacity with a lighter, deeper (taller) beam.

Just as an example, a W12x16 has about the same capacity as a W6x25, but it's 16lbs/ft instead of 25lbs/ft. Please don't go to your engineer and tell him 'some guy on the internet told me this would work'. If using a deeper beam isn't a problem, just ask the engineer if there's a lighter beam that will work, or if a pair of channels could be substituted to make installation easier.

A word of warning about the option with the channels: You would probably be increasing the amount of work that needs to be done, since they would likely need to be bolted together, which means drilling a few fairly big holes in some fairly thick steel, which is quite a bit of work in itself.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My other option is not one 1/2" steel plate glitch, but 3 steel plate and 4 2x8, sandwiched together. To be confirmed with engineer.

I think it would be easier to take those pieces in separately and put them together onsite. I am in the city and don't know where to get the football players. To use lifts, access of the machines may be another problem....

The upside of flitch plate is that it would be easier to screw/bolt to the rest of the structures, correct?

·
Registered
9,772 Posts
your proposed beam = is it possible to be carried up the stairs and into the room ? as in, would it make all of the turns/etc ?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts