DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Whirlpool Side x Side fridge we got six yrs ago works great but for one prob: The right side door (fridge side) doesn't auto-close. The magnetic seal works fine but you have to close the door to get it there. Freezer door works great; it will self-close if it's anywhere NEAR shut.

The manual says to level the fridge to cure this. In fact, level is the ONLY thing the book lists as a problem when this condition occurs. Using my 2-foot bubble level, it was about a half-bubble off level when I started. This, measuring side-to-side, across front of the fridge. When I bring it to level, the door still acts the same way. There are no adjustments for leveling the rears.

Right now I'm out a couple hundred bux worth of food since the door was open about 1/2 inch all night, and the unit was warm inside this AM.

The doors are both hinged on the outside, opening from the center. Left door operates properly. Right side door does not .... and my common sense tells me that side needs to go UP in order to allow gravity to swing the door.

But lifting that right side up had no effect. FWIW, there is nothing heavy in the door, and it swings fine with no obstruction inside or out.

HELP!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is not apparently obvious in these two shots is something that I see when standing over the fridge: That door that's in question appears very close at the outside, by the hinges and the other side is not as close. I.E. the seam on the door seal is completely closed (crushed shut) at the hinge side of the door just like it is on the freezer door that works correctly. But toward the other side of the refrigerator door the gap is wider. That door actually sticks out a bit more in the center of the unit, than the freezer door does.

·
#1 HAWKEYE FAN
1,903 Posts
those little black plastic things on the bottom side of the door on the hinge, those are little cams that if are not worn out will make your door self close. I suspect yours are worn and need to be replaced

·
#1 HAWKEYE FAN
1,903 Posts
pull the door by removing the screws in the top hinge, the closure is held on by a screw

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.