DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My home has a few rooms that slope towards the outside of the home. When I noticed this, I hired an engineer to take a look at it. He told me that, in his opinion, that the home just exhibited normal signs of settling for a home of my age in our area. He noted two corners of my home that showed stress, but he said that it wasn't worth fixing unless further settlement occurred. He wrote up and stamped a 20 page report basically saying that the home didn't show any major foundation damage. I also contacted a foundation repair company, and that guy told me the same thing.

With that being said, I'd still like to level my floors. I'm worried about the weight of putting a SLC on top of my slab causing further settlement. Would it be possible to lay plywood subfloor on top of the concrete to level it out? Any other options out there?

Thanks!

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Hi Derek,

Building a false wooden floor over your slab would be a very bad idea. Why do you think a few hundred or even several thousand pounds of cement would cause a problem?

You never said how far out of level the floor is, but 5, 10, 15 lbs. of weight per sq. ft. is nothing. Heck, 6 people in your kitchen might be close to a thousand pounds and their weight would be concentrated on approx. 3 sq, ft. at the most. Your refrig. weights 500-600 pounds concentrated on a few sq. inches of the 4 wheels. Think about it.

Jaz

·
Registered
10,932 Posts
As JazMan asked, how much? Since that detail will be important for many years you should decide on how to measure the slope and keep track of it. If you have a basement and the space is relatively open you can establish some reference points. Once you work with this you may also decide on an approach to correct some or all of the issue.

Bud

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't have an entirely accurate way of measuring it, but at it's worst, it's out of level by 1-1.25" over 20ft. The other rooms are mostly level except maybe the last 3-4ft of the room nearing the outside wall. It might slope .5" over that distance.

Also, it's a slab on grade foundation so no basement unfortunately.

·
Registered
10,932 Posts
OK, I'm getting the picture.
An easy way to establish a level reference would be with a rotary laser level, they can be rented. But mark a 4' high spot in a hallway or other central location and with the laser hitting that point you can transfer that point to anywhere in the house. Then measure the height of all points and you will see any differences.

Can also be done with a string level just hard to pull the string tight enough. I use a monofilament fish line.

A nice straight 16' 2x4 and a level will also work.

Determine the drops and make a sketch for your record. That way you can repeat the process next year to see if things have moved. If any movement, then the repairs become more important.

Bud

1 - 5 of 5 Posts