DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stupidly framed out my basement and put up drywall, which looks great. I then realized that I should level the floor - the floor drops 3-4" over 12' and it isn't flat, either. I want to use concrete to level the floor so that I have more flooring options. My drywall ends ~1" off of the floor so that it doesn't wick water and I have a membrane under the the sill piece. Leveling the floor would place the level of the concrete high enough to overlap and contact the bottom 2-3" of drywall.

If I have 2-3" of concrete against the drywall, I will need a moisture barrier. What can I place on the bottom of the wall to stop moisture from wicking into the drywall? Or do I rip off the bottom of the wall? Or do I tear down my new wall and level the floor underneath it? :sad:

The basement has an interior French drain and there is a floor drain in an adjacent room. Plastic over the floor shows moisture due to a high water table, but there has never been water in the sump for the French drain.

·
Naildriver
10,792 Posts
I don't know the in's and out's of correcting the slope of your floor, since it approaches 4". SLC may not be an option. Others will be along to help with the floor correction. You will absolutely not want to place concrete against the drywall, and will need to take out a 4"+ strip of sheetrock at the bottom, install 2x6 bunker boards between stud bays to support the concrete pour and place CBU over the removed sheetrock strip, as well as a moisture barrier to keep it all from wicking. Baseboard will cover the seam between the CBU and existing sheetrock wall.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts