DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was always taught the under vinyl window sill should be tilted 5 to 10* to outside to enhance drainage of any moisture or condensation UNDER which the metal and butyl flashing will cause to run outside.

Another guy who does this SAYS thats too much work and serves no purpose cause under the window will never have a drip of water anyway. who is correct???

Dont know where I read it should slope out,,maybe here??? Any way to make a level sill slope out? Even a 1/4 to 3/8 inch inside to nothing outside, wedge???

·
Old School
3,634 Posts
ALWAYS tilt an exterior sill so that water will run off it.

And simple condensation will create moisture on the inside of window frames... even INDIDE the frame structures, themselves.

That's why you will see a couple of 'weep' holes on the outside bottom of all windows (often just little 1/4" slits).

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so is there something I can put on these level sills under the metal flashing now being installed to tilt them out 'some'???

can a radial arm saw cut a wedge from a 2 X4?? how thick should inside edge be??3/8 enough?? dont want the rough opening to get too tight and already have metal flashing and butyl tape to take up space.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Google "Sunrise House" (or "Home"). I think the detail you are looking for was presented on the greenbuildingadvisor.com site, under a thread "Sunrise House". If not, that site has loads of window details (though you may have to register), as well as other sites. All you need is a strip of wood to shim the sill up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts