DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the hell is this pipe sticking out of the ground for? It used to have an empty electrical outlet screwed on top of it which I removed. There are no wires or anything going into or out of this thing. Yet I can't pull it out of the ground because it won't budge. Does this serve some kind of purpose or can I just pull/dig it out?

·
Crusty Old Dude
111 Posts
If you just want to get rid of it, dig down just below grade and cut it off and cap it. then you can just give it a decent burial :thumbsup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you just want to get rid of it, dig down just below grade and cut it off and cap it. then you can just give it a decent burial :thumbsup:
what would I cap it with? And is it really necessary to cap it or can I just cut and bury?

·
Super Moderator
22,150 Posts
If it is an electrical conduit it could run inside you house somewhere. If you don't cap it, water could flow into the house. I would do at least some investigation to see where it might go.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it is an electrical conduit it could run inside you house somewhere. If you don't cap it, water could flow into the house. I would do at least some investigation to see where it might go.
Well it has always been un-capped and exposed. I cut it down and then stuffed a long rag down the top and then buried it.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Well it has always been un-capped and exposed. I cut it down and then stuffed a long rag down the top and then buried it.
A proper cap may be purchased at any hardware store. A little glue and you would be safe.
However, now that the pipe opening is below ground level its conceivable that the rag would rot away and that you would have a river of water running into your electrical panel.
If this happened, you would then have a major problem on your hands.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
See if you can force air down it....if it flows....it's comeing out somewhere....if not...then the other end is blocked...
too late, already found a nice cap at Lowes. Cut it down, put some water-proof silicone inside the cap and placed it over the hole than buried it. I'm sure it was an electrical conduit that was not in use because as I said, it had a box on top without any outlets wired in. Just an empty box sitting screwed into the top.

·
Crusty Old Dude
111 Posts
I know it was not in use. That does not mean it doesn't come into your house somewhere. You did well to put a cap on it,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts