DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
JOATMON
15,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been numerous threads on hanging...taping and mudding...

This is what I have learned.....

1. They don't make drywall sheets big enough. Use the biggest and longest sheet you can.

2. Butt boards rock. It's a lot easier to fill the seam that has been butt boarded.

3. Tape...mesh vs paper. This is one of the most talked about subjects. My personal opinion....mesh for those horizontal seams between sheets...and tape for the corners.

And for those odd corners...this stuff rocks. I can't remember if it was Oh'Mike or JoeCaption who suggested it...but thanks...

4. Wet mud works much better than damp mud. Here on the West coast, we don't get the black lid or blue lid....we get Red Dot and bags of either 10 min, 40 min or 90 min. I use the 90 min...mix it up....slap it on. And I make mine pretty wet. It feathers a lot easier when it's wet. And when using tape, I also wet the tape in addition to the mud on both sides...that way I don't get bubbles.

5. For straight 90 deg corners...I prefer the metal corner bead. I screw, not nail it. Uses a bit more mud....but it's a lot faster.

6. The bigger the mud knife...the better. I like my stainless steel one the best...12"

7. Prep....the time spent putting down craft paper and taping the edges is a lot less than trying to clean up the mess. Once the drywall is done...I leave the paper down while I paint...when all done...pull it up...vacuum a little....done.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
For mesh vs. paper, I just ordered some FibaFuse and plan on trying that soon. Sounds like the perfect compromise between mesh and paper. I refuse to use mesh. But I will be trying things like Ultraflex next chance I get.

Most people don't realize that some taping knives and trowels have a subtle curve to them. Look for them in the store next time by looking down the length of the blade lengthwise. On some of them, you should see a subtle curve. The concave side goes toward the wall, so that when you hold the knife against the wall with only slight pressure and the corners of the blade touching, there's a slight gap between the middle of the blade and the wall.

Yes, most people use too small of a knife for almost everything they do.

One trick for getting smooth mud is to keep your mud pail very clean. When I'm done, I clean out my half empty bucket of mud better than I clean my tools. The sides are absolutely clean, and there are no little boogers anywhere. It only takes a minute with a sponge, but it saves loads of time fixing the gouges from the little boogers when you apply next time.

Attachments

·
JOATMON
15,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One trick for getting smooth mud is to keep your mud pail very clean. When I'm done, I clean out my half empty bucket of mud better than I clean my tools. The sides are absolutely clean, and there are no little boogers anywhere. It only takes a minute with a sponge, but it saves loads of time fixing the gouges from the little boogers when you apply next time.
Yes^^^^

In fact, I use those 2 gal buckets of primer...when the primer is done, I have a perfect bucket to use for mud....just the right size....

And like you, I clean it every time....

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
In fact, I use those 2 gal buckets of primer...when the primer is done, I have a perfect bucket to use for mud....just the right size....
For some reason that never occurred to me. The less air in the bucket with your compound, the better.

·
Registered
457 Posts
6. The bigger the mud knife...the better. I like my stainless steel one the best...12"
True except for setting the tape in mud. I see alot of people using too big of knife and are left with bulge at end of job I use a 2.5" angled knife get it in there as good as possible. Also use alot of compound on first coat but then wipe it off. If tape does not get wet enough it will not stick and get a bubble in it as it dries.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
I Tend to agree with all the above except the mesh tape. Jeff you will love the FibaFuse on the flats and cuss it on the corners till you get used to it. One word of warning don't mix your hot (setting) mud too thin. This does make it easier to work but if you make it too thin it makes it brittle when it dries. That's why when it starts getting stiff on you you shouldn't add water too it.
And the No-Coat, while pricey, for someone new to me is worth the money.
And I have preached enough about butt boards I have been accused of trolling.

·
Registered
683 Posts
yup mesh is a no no!
ultra flex is awesome for odd angled corners. its also awesome for outside 90s as well but a corner roller is highly recommended.
i use a 3" knife to set the tape on inside corners and a 4" to coat my corners so bigger isnt always better

1 - 7 of 7 Posts