DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
p

I'm trying to decide between a heat pump vs straight electric.. I'm comparing the 14hpx vs the Xc13 and XC14 all 5 ton systems.. The 14hpx seems nice but does it have a loss of charge switches? Any recommendations?
D

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Heat pump is much cheaper to run then straight electric. There's no loss of charge switch on it from the factory but is easy enough to add one.

·
I'm Your Huckleberry
5,884 Posts
Electric heat is roughly three times as expensive to use versus heat pump. You pay up front for the heat pump and get your money back and then some in very cost effective electricity bills.

If you use heat quite a lot throughout the year, get a heat pump.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Doc.. Winters are kinda cold but not bad.
The 5 ton sizing came from the fact that this unit was here when we moved in.. The house is 2700 sq ft and 120 miles south of Houston were it gets hot in the summer..

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Doc, our area, the electric is pretty cheap, so actually it is comparative. Now if you have Ameren in my area, or live in one of the communities south of our town, the costs are cheaper to run gas heat, or a Heat pump, because the cost to deliver electric in those areas is higher.

You have to really sit down and compare costs, and if you have enough land space, then geo comes out even better if down south, or living out in the plains for heating & cooling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts