DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My heat pump decided to not kick on at some point in the evening yesterday didnt notice until 11 o'clock because we had people in and out all day just figured it couldn't keep up with the door opening and closing; come to find out the fan stopped running. So i woke up this morning went out side checked all the electrical connections i have power everywhere it seems to need to be. (to the best of my knowledge). But again no fan could hear the transfomer clicking when switched on but nothing. So i decide to try the heat (mind you its 87 degrees out and its 9 oclock ing the morning), fan turns on and unit starts to work, so i switch the thermastat to cool and the fan remains running and the house is finally cooling down. So what im trying to figure out is what the issue is because I'm sure its only a matter of time before this becomes and issue again. Oh yeah and the capacitor was replaced about 18months ago.

·
Administrator
42,107 Posts
Could be the thermostat, or the compressor windings getting weak, may need a hard start kit. Could also be the contactor was stuck open.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
If I remember correctly those have an auto reset high pressure switch but the defrost board locks the system out if it tripped. Switching the thermostat reset the defrost board. Fan motor going out,capacitor weak or condensing coils are too dirty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts