DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please Please help, I have a Lennox coooling system with the above model number. The house was cooling just fine, when this clicking noise started coming from the unit. Ran outside and I could smell something burning, switched off the system.

Now I was wondering could someone please tell me, what the problem could be, Would I be able to replace the part, what the possible cost might be.

Thank You for your kind help as we all try and save money money in thie economy. May God Bless You for your help

Peter

·
Hvac Pro
23,426 Posts
Please please, Okay. :)
Try turn the fan blade on the outdoor motor with a pencil or long thin screwdriver. If it is seized up or very stiff then you need a new motor and capacitor. Check if something like a stick got dropped in there by some kids and jammed it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried It

Thank You for the reply Yuri, the fan will spin no problem. In fact when I shut the unit down the fan was working and the house was cooling, but the noise and then the burning smell made realise something was about to go wrong.

when I described the problem to Lennox he said it could be the compressor FAN motor going bad.

Please help.

·
Hvac Pro
23,426 Posts
The motor may be slowing down and overheating. A weak capacitor may be the problem or the motor bearings are getting hot and seizing up etc. If you have done electrical repair work before then you may want to replace the capacitor. It should be tested with a meter etc. If not call a Pro and have him check the freon level etc and you stay safe and alive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts