DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Not so new
969 Posts
I'd say no. But above the sill there should be a band or rim joist. Typically 2 rows of fasteners are staggered 12" -16" oc or so, through the ledger into the rim.

Why did you want to use the sill?

·
Framing Contractor
1,758 Posts
I'd say no. But below the sill there should be a band or rim joist. Typically 2 rows of fasteners are staggered 12" -16" oc or so, through the ledger into the rim.

Why did you want to use the sill?
The treated sill plate is what the band/rim board and floor joists sit on.

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
Figure 14 in the IRC 2006 "Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide" shows the typical connection of the ledger to the rim joist or band joist. The sill is typically below the rim joist, it would be unusual to have the sill above the joist as indicated by 12 penny. Not saying it never happens, just unusual framing. The ledger is typically connected to the band joist because the depth of the ledger normally exceeds the depth of the sill, so it would presumably be difficult or impossible to get two levels of lag screws or through bolts through the sill.

However, if the sill is deep enough (mine is 3-1/2 inches deep), it should in theory be possible to lag into the sill beam for one line of bolts or lag screws, though this is NOT shown in Figure 14 as an allowable method, so before you do it, check with your local code enforcement official.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts