DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
401 - 420 of 635 Posts

·
retired framer
65,297 Posts
I'm starting from the outside working my way in? So screw the boards into the metal flashing and into the ledger?
With a full width board you might stay away from the flashing but it depends in the width you end with, you may not have a choice but to put screws there.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #407 ·
I was planning on aluminum railing. In terms of stairs I'm not too sure but we are thinking of the 16' side having stairs along the whole 16' or just having one small set of stairs. I'm not too sure what to go with

·
retired framer
65,297 Posts
I was planning on aluminum railing. In terms of stairs I'm not too sure but we are thinking of the 16' side having stairs along the whole 16' or just having one small set of stairs. I'm not too sure what to go with
So aluminum railing would go on top of the decking boards or on the outside of the frame down the side.
So it would be decking first.
The stairs are usually done last but can be done now but you need a plan for how the yard will be done as they have to land at the right height for the yard or patio so you can get the correct riser for each step.
Even for wide stairs I might come in a foot or two on both sides to make the corner rail post stronger
You do stairs with same product you use for the perimeter without the grove on the edges, I think you said you can get them long enough for what ever width you might want.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #409 ·
So aluminum railing would go on top of the decking boards or on the outside of the frame down the side.
So it would be decking first.
The stairs are usually done last but can be done now but you need a plan for how the yard will be done as they have to land at the right height for the yard or patio so you can get the correct riser for each step.
Even for wide stairs I might come in a foot or two on both sides to make the corner rail post stronger
You do stairs with same product you use for the perimeter without the grove on the edges, I think you said you can get them long enough for what ever width you might want.
Oh okay what do you mean by the plans for the yard? It is already sod and we have no plans to make a patio at the moment at least. We will probably come in a foot on both sides.

Thanks again for all your help the deck is looking great!!

·
retired framer
65,297 Posts
Oh okay what do you mean by the plans for the yard? It is already sod and we have no plans to make a patio at the moment at least. We will probably come in a foot on both sides.

Thanks again for all your help the deck is looking great!!
That is all the planning you need for the yard. How high is the deck above the lawn?
Is the lawn fairly level going away from the deck?
With some rough measurements first then we get into detail measurements later.

·
retired framer
65,297 Posts
Hmmm actually I discussed with my wife and we might want a concrete patio maybe 1-2 years down the line.
Is it possible to still build the stairs still?
Yes you can do the stairs the deal is every step want to be the same height .
So you would plan the stairs to land at the level of the patio, the easy would be to plan the patio to be at the level that the lawn is now.
Si the lawn reasonably level from the deck out to where the patio would end.
Or would you like to have the patio a few inches above the lawn so water runs off and all that stuff.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #413 ·
I'd say it's not reasonably level since we did the sod ourselves. Wouldn't roll your ankle or anything but definitely not level.

Which option is better? Going flush with the grass or elevated above the grass?

As well, how difficult would a concrete patio be for DIY or is that something I should get a professional to do?

·
retired framer
65,297 Posts
I'd say it's not reasonably level since we did the sod ourselves. Wouldn't roll your ankle or anything but definitely not level.

Which option is better? Going flush with the grass or elevated above the grass?

As well, how difficult would a concrete patio be for DIY or is that something I should get a professional to do?
We want the stairs to land on concrete, I never do concrete that wants to look nice when done.
So if you have never done it. I would prep it and form it and have a pro place it.
As that would be next year or so I would just do 12 or 16 inches right under the stairs for them to land on.
And you never really have to look at it again.
To prep for the patio you remove all the top soil and then put some gravel down and compact it.
I would plan for about 1 inch or 2 above the lawn so when done you can just have the lawn level but slightly sloping away.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #415 ·
Hmm ok I'll have more questions for the stairs when I get to it.

The decking will go under the vinyl siding right?
Also big of a space between the house and the decking should there be?
A lot of questions but since I also plan to put metal flashing above the decking does there need to be a gap between the metal flashing and the decking as well?

As well underneath the deck I left the existing vinyl flashing but theres about a 1" gap of just nothing underneath the smaller part of the deck as seen below. Do I need to do anything with this gap or can I just leave it?

Automotive tire Grille Bumper Vehicle door Wood

·
retired framer
65,297 Posts
Hmm ok I'll have more questions for the stairs when I get to it.

The decking will go under the vinyl siding right?
Also big of a space between the house and the decking should there be?
A lot of questions but since I also plan to put metal flashing above the decking does there need to be a gap between the metal flashing and the decking as well?

As well underneath the deck I left the existing vinyl flashing but theres about a 1" gap of just nothing underneath the smaller part of the deck as seen below. Do I need to do anything with this gap or can I just leave it?

View attachment 701872
The piece in the picture might be needed for the siding above the deck.
I thought you were going to remove that run the flex flashing do on to the stucco to move water away?
The decking can go really close to the wall or even toughing it.
The hard flashing above the decking will be down tight against the decking.
The siding will start 1/2 " above the flashing.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #417 ·
The piece in the picture might be needed for the siding above the deck.
I thought you were going to remove that run the flex flashing do on to the stucco to move water away?
The decking can go really close to the wall or even toughing it.
The hard flashing above the decking will be down tight against the decking.
The siding will start 1/2 " above the flashing.
Ok thanks so under the deck I should cut that piece of vinyl siding to around where it ends under the decking and use it for above the decking metal flashing?

What should I do about the exposed home wrap under the deck then? The flashing tape goes all the way down there from under the ledger.

·
retired framer
65,297 Posts
Ok thanks so under the deck I should cut that piece of vinyl siding to around where it ends under the decking and use it for above the decking metal flashing?

What should I do about the exposed home wrap under the deck then? The flashing tape goes all the way down there from under the ledger.
Flex flashing up close to the ledge down just over the edge of the stucco So any water falling off the ledger will be out and gone.

·
retired framer
65,297 Posts
There is a piece of metal flashing underneath that piece of vinyl already that I left. Or is that too far from the ledger?
I would still cover the top edge of the stucco. If water is dripping there, there would be no point in letting it get behind the stucco.
Water should drain out the bottom of the stucco but that is below the dirt and we don't know where the top of the foundation stops or the wood starts, so we don't want to push your luck and just protect every thing you can.

401 - 420 of 635 Posts