DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 560 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Looking to started a new deck build but I have a question regarding ledger boards. The one which was installed by our builder is only nailed in. Would I need to remove this and replace it with a new one if I wanted to use lag bolts or could I use lag bolts on the existing ledger board? Would I need to remove the existing nails if I was to use the existing ledger board?

Thanks

·
retired framer
63,242 Posts
Hi everyone

Looking to started a new deck build but I have a question regarding ledger boards. The one which was installed by our builder is only nailed in. Would I need to remove this and replace it with a new one if I wanted to use lag bolts or could I use lag bolts on the existing ledger board? Would I need to remove the existing nails if I was to use the existing ledger board?

Thanks
We need pictures. Where is it in relation to the door? did they remove siding?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
No real need to remove, Looks like nailed to floor joist, but I would still some structural screws for it. Also would put some sealer on that, along with using deck joist flashing tape on all your deck joist.

·
retired framer
63,242 Posts
Pictures above looks like siding has been removed
Not much wrong with that, if you have a rim joist behind that you could just add lag bolts.
Do the lay out first so you don't put lag bolts where you want the joists.

·
Naildriver
18,535 Posts
Not pressure treated and not attached properly to house. How far will you let this contractor go? It's gotta be changed out to pressure treated wood and you will need lag bolts or Head Loks installed.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input everyone looks like I'll need to remove the existing ledger boards an replace them with pressure treated ones. When I remove the existing ledger boards will I need to somehow fill the existing nail holes or can I just fasten the new ledger and flash it?

·
Naildriver
18,535 Posts
You'll flash it, but you can always chase the holes with a good sealant (OSI Quad Max) for instance and put your new ledger up.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the responses to build onto this is that metal strip above the ledger board existing flashing? Would I be able to use that existing flashing when I replace my ledger board with the pressure treated boards?

TIA

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the responses to build onto this is that metal strip above the ledger board existing flashing? Would I be able to use that existing flashing when I replace my ledger board with the pressure treated boards?

TIA
It will depend on how the flashing was installed. It should go up behind the house wrap. Especially if flashing is aluminum it must not touch the PT .Chemical reaction. Needs flashing tape between the two.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ok thanks. There is no flashing tape currently between the aluminum flashing and existing ledger board.
My current plans for replacing the ledger board are below can you let me know if you see any issues?

1. Remove existing ledger board and flashing.
2. Add back flashing tape to area where ledge board is being attached. (Some resources say to flashing tape doesn't need to be applied underneath the ledger and instead fold over the top of the ledger?) I read into it more and looks like I'll be adding back flashing with the vinyl flashing
2. Attach pressure treated ledger board with fasteners (I'm still getting the spacing requirements from my city's building code)
  • LedgerLok's
  • Diameter: ¼”
  • Length 3 ⅝”

3. Install vinyl flashing (Would it be ok to use Vinyl Flashing or should I use copper flashing? I'm located in Edmonton Alberta)

I'm also not sure of what to do with that right side ledger I was planning for a joist to be there but should I just replace that ledger and put a joist beside it?

I have a question in bold that I'm not sure of.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Vinyl is ok .Never have really used it. Personally being the siding is Vinyl I would remove the bottom course or two to get the flashing done right. You joist should have flashing tape on them .

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
If I am building new, victor or the like goes 3” below and 6” above the ledger board before the house wrap. Ledger goes on. vicor then starts 6” above ledger, down to ledger and folds over. House wrap goes over that. I would get as close as you can to that.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What type of flashing would be ideal with pressure treated wood?

If I am building new, victor or the like goes 3” below and 6” above the ledger board before the house wrap. Ledger goes on. vicor then starts 6” above ledger, down to ledger and folds over. House wrap goes over that. I would get as close as you can to that.
What is victor/vicor?

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Treated wood bolted on is good. Bolts should be for treated wood or hot dipped galvanized. If you have access to the inside, through bolts hold a lot more than lags.

·
Naildriver
18,535 Posts
1 - 20 of 560 Posts