DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1000 watt halogen light installed outside the back door to light up the yard. I don't like the idea of leaving it on a long time because it is using a thou$and watt$ = electric u$age.

Are there LED lights that would put out comparable light that would only use say 100 watts? I don't know what conversions might be.
Is a LED light going to throw light as far as halogen? Do they come in spot and flood options like other light bulbs?

I tried looking on eBay but got overloaded with sorting trying to figure out how to compare and see if it would work.

I don't even know where the ballpark is for costs. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on this but if I save a bunch on electric bill it will work out eventually.

Are there other types of lights that might be comparable to the halogen that I have now? I am not planning to turn this on and leave it on for hours so I don't think a mercury vapor light would work for me. Sometimes this gets turned on for less than one minute and then off. (Check for skunks, other critters before letting the dog out...)

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,513 Posts
A 1000 watt halogen will produce approx 18-22,000 lumens. Look for a LED with those numbers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 1000 watt halogen light installed outside the back door to light up the yard. I don't like the idea of leaving it on a long time because it is using a thou$and watt$ = electric u$age.

Are there LED lights that would put out comparable light that would only use say 100 watts? I don't know what conversions might be.
Is a LED light going to throw light as far as halogen? Do they come in spot and flood options like other light bulbs?

I tried looking on eBay but got overloaded with sorting trying to figure out how to compare and see if it would work.

I don't even know where the ballpark is for costs. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on this but if I save a bunch on electric bill it will work out eventually.

Are there other types of lights that might be comparable to the halogen that I have now? I am not planning to turn this on and leave it on for hours so I don't think a mercury vapor light would work for me. Sometimes this gets turned on for less than one minute and then off. (Check for skunks, other critters before letting the dog out...)
100w in LED is a lot of light. It all comes down to how big an area you want to light. Go to your local hardware store and see what they've got in LED. 20 watts is prolly lots. Mercury vapor or any other HID light is not what you want because they take a minute or two to turn on.
I would advise against buying a no name product on line.

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
100w LED is a lot of light, about 10,000 lumens. But that is only about half of what he has with his halogen light.

He needs about 200w of LED, or to re-evaluate how much light he wants/needs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I really looked. This light that I have up is only 500 watts. It still puts out a lot of light.
I remember having a 1000 watt light someplace, I guess not up now.

I don't find actual lumens listed for lots of lights. I don't know what I HAVE to compare to what is available.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I replaces a twin halogen light on my back wall of the house. It had two 150 watt halogen lights on one base. I bought a twin head LED unit and was a bit skeptical, but when I lit it up at night, it threw off more light than the old unit. It lights up a lot more of the back yard and is a very bright white light. I couldn't find anything in an LED that was rated for more lumens without spending $2-300.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_461147-33229-6219W_1z10fip__?productId=50226157&pl=1&Ntt=outdoor+flood+light

Here's the link for it.
Mike Hawkins:smile:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ok, I really looked. This light that I have up is only 500 watts. It still puts out a lot of light.
I remember having a 1000 watt light someplace, I guess not up now.

I don't find actual lumens listed for lots of lights. I don't know what I HAVE to compare to what is available.
I agree with firehawk. Try a dual head 25W LED. Some come with a motion sensor and photocell. IMO your don't need 100W of LED. Try one, I think you'll be surprised at how much light it produces.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts