DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LEDs are often not properly dimmable, or don't dim the same way that incandescent lamps do. They can still produce light at very low currents, which incandescents don't. Some dimmers are incapable of completely shutting off current flow unless the switch is in the off position. Even then, ay kind of illuminated switch will draw a tiny amount of current. This doesn't cause a problem with incandescent lamps, since they stay dark at low currents. LEDs may light up a tiny bit though. About the only solution (other than using a different switch or different LEDs) is to plug a traditional incandescent night light, Glade air freshener, or other small load into the same receptacle as the rope lights. This will pass the tiny amount of current the dimmer supplies when turned down all the way, keeping the LEDs from lighting.

BTW, it's not code compliant to have a dimmer control a receptacle, unless you use a special receptacle with an odd shape that nothing normal can plug into. I violate this rule in my bedroom so I'm not going to say you shouldn't. But it's not code compliant.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
Is the problem one a 3-way? Maybe it is not actually off.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
Me thinks the original post was removed. :huh:

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
There were 3 threads about this when I answered one of them, and notified the duplicate status of the other 2. Seems that they all have been banished?

·
Registered
4 Posts
About the only solution (other than using a different switch or different LEDs) is to plug a traditional incandescent night light, Glade air freshener, or other small load into the same receptacle as the rope lights. This will pass the tiny amount of current the dimmer supplies when turned down all the way, keeping the LEDs from lighting.

BTW, it's not code compliant to have a dimmer control a receptacle, unless you use a special receptacle with an odd shape that nothing normal can plug into. I violate this rule in my bedroom so I'm not going to say you shouldn't. But it's not code compliant.
Thanks, mpoulton. As far as I know it's not a major problem, but I may try a night light as you suggest. Electrical inspection should be this week. We shall see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.