DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about LED lights. Specifically, I'm curious if anyone uses 3000K T8 bulbs, or 3000K T4 bulbs at home. Do you like how the natural light looks, as opposed to the white light of other bulbs? I'd like to hear others' opinions before making a purchase. Thanks!

·
Common Sense Common Guy
139 Posts
My opinion is that the 3000K LED bulbs look artificially "yellow" or "tan". Where I have installed LED bulbs in my home I have gone with 5000K, and my shop has 7600K T8 strip bulbs. I tend to like daylight anyway.

·
Registered
11,310 Posts
I have a number of PAR20 lamps. Currently, I have halogen, CFL, and LED bulbs in close proximity, so I can readily make comparisons. Of the three, I like the light of the LED's the best. As the other bulbs burn out, I am replacing them with the LED. The LED I am using is the FEIT 5K bulb. I prefer the whiter light.

The reason I have all three types up is that they were all originally halogen. I wanted to replace them with something more energy efficient for a long time. My fixtures have a trim ring that snaps onto the bulb, so I needed true PAR20 shape and size. It was only a couple of years ago that I found a CFL that would (mostly) fit properly. And it was only last year that I found a PAR 20 LED that had true PAR 20 dimensions, and had a reasonable output (500 lumens).

·
JOATMON
17,557 Posts
Instead of using T4 or T8 'type' LED lights, I would either go more common Edison, GU24 or rope lighting.

Those T8 LED bulbs are real expensive...

The rope lighting has come a long ways and is very flexible (and I don't mean just flex) in how you use it.

Check out SuperBrightLEDS.com for some good info.

And...I would suggest going more in the 4000-5000 color range....

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm with carmusic... Thus far I like the 3000K. 2700K looks like a regular incandescent. 3000K is quite a bit cooler. Where we've put them in it really changes the feel of the room. Going even higher is an option but while they call it daylight that's not comfortable for in home light where you're used to things being warmer. If stark, crisp, or contemporary describe your style, move higher. If warm, comfortable or casual are your style, then a little warmer. For a shop? Of course you want bright bright there. That's different than say a living room.

It also doesn't hurt to buy a couple types and take them back if you don't like them.

·
Registered
128 Posts
We like 3000K LEDs in the bathroom and kitchen where their whiter hue is an advantage but go with 2700K LEDs in all other rooms including all can lighting in the finished basement. 3000K lighting is just too harsh for most rooms in my (and my family's) opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.