DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to install a new, lever-handled shut-off valve in the gas line feeding my water heater, because the original one is the old-style with the square head that requires a wrench to turn. The original one is also in a tough spot to access. My question is—is it legal to install the new valve downstream of the original one, and then leave the original one in place? The original valve is intact and doesn’t leak. Also, can I legally do the same for a new valve in the water supply line for the water heater?

I expect that some here are inclined to comment on the sense of my idea, or appearance, or other aspect, but I'm really just asking about legality.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Naildriver
18,619 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with duplicating the cut offs. I would, however, tag the old ones to the effect that they are no longer used as primary shut offs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
From a legal aspect the only opinion that truly counts is your local inspector.

Not knowing your situation, other opinions that might count down the road are potential buyers and the home inspector that they chose.

If you want opinions that are based on experience let us know.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
686 Posts
I don't think those old plug valves are legal to use in my area anymore. I'm not sure if they are illegal everywhere, or if it is just a local thing for my area. The gas company still uses them on their gas meters, but they don't need to follow codes.

Anyways, I would remove it if it were me, but as long as it doesn't leak and as long as they are still allowed you would be OK to leave it.

There's no reason you can't have multiple shutoff valves in series with each other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.