DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be leaving home in about a week, and I'll be gone for 1-2 months. I live in an area that goes well below freezing during winter, so keeping the furnace going while I'm gone will be important. I'm going to shut off the water and drain the pipes before I leave, but I still don't really want the house to freeze while I'm gone.

I've lived in this house for about 9 years, and I've never changed the ignitor on the furnace. So it's at least that old. It has always worked fine. It's a hot surface ignitor, I'm not sure exactly what style, but I think it's a Carrier furnace. I have a brand new ignitor on hand just in case mine goes out. But now I'm thinking, should I just change it out before I leave? Seems like a no-brainer to just put it in before I leave. But my only fear is that just maybe my new ignitor is a dud and will fail shortly after I put it in, once I'm away from home. Does that happen often?

·
Registered
13,976 Posts
Model number?

If you can measure the current of the HSI, it would tell you if it's getting a bit weaker. It's very accurate when you have a baseline. You should write it down if you do change it.

The ignitor can be cheap enough. Same with the capacitor for the blower motor if it has one.

However, if it starts up without fuss every time, I wouldn't worry too much. You can record a video and post it to YouTube then link it here. It will let us listen to the startup, and maybe hear anything going on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Model number?

If you can measure the current of the HSI, it would tell you if it's getting a bit weaker. It's very accurate when you have a baseline. You should write it down if you do change it.

The ignitor can be cheap enough. Same with the capacitor for the blower motor if it has one.

However, if it starts up without fuss every time, I wouldn't worry too much. You can record a video and post it to YouTube then link it here. It will let us listen to the startup, and maybe hear anything going on.
Yeah the new ignitor was only $20. And after getting over 9 years out of this last one, I have absolutely zero qualms about changing out a $20 ignitor before it really had to be replaced just to give myself some piece of mind. I don't think I have an amp clamp to measure the high amperage of the ignitor.

Actually I guess it's a Payne Furnace, but basically same as a cheap Carrier apparently.

It's a Payne PG8MAA036070AAJA
The ignitor is a LH33ZS004

Good idea on the startup video. I might do that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see 331930-751 for the ignitor. It's not so cheap. While your at it, replace or clean the flame sensor, which is cheap. LH680534

PS. Carrier owns Payne.
I looked up photos of the 331930-751, my ignitor does not look like that. This is what my ignitor looks like, and the spare I got was made by Robertshaw and it was actually a little less than $20.

I cleaned the burners, flame sensor, and vaccumed all the dust out of the furnace about a year and a half ago, so I'm good there.

Rectangle Cable Font Auto part Fashion accessory

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get an internet-connected thermostat (e.g. ecobee) and check it every day?
Yeah I have that, and I will. But I'm going to be across the country, in a vehicle, so about all I would be able to do is watch my house freeze in real time, and debate whether I should drive 30 hours home or not to deal with it. And I really don't want to try to coordinate getting a repair man to the house when I'm out of the state.

·
Registered
13,976 Posts
I looked up photos of the 331930-751, my ignitor does not look like that. This is what my ignitor looks like, and the spare I got was made by Robertshaw and it was actually a little less than $20.

I cleaned the burners, flame sensor, and vaccumed all the dust out of the furnace about a year and a half ago, so I'm good there.

View attachment 679756
Maybe sometime converted it, or the carrier portal is wrong. It happens.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Is it no longer a thing for people to have their neighbor check the house while away?
If I ever have to go away for an extended period I always let my next door neighbor know and she will check on the house and call me if anything happens. And if it's winter I would leave the number for a heating company.
Worst case you have to pay a bill for a repair that you could've done yourself, but it's better than letting the house freeze

·
Registered
13,976 Posts
Is it no longer a thing for people to have their neighbor check the house while away?
If I ever have to go away for an extended period I always let my next door neighbor know and she will check on the house and call me if anything happens. And if it's winter I would leave the number for a heating company.
Worst case you have to pay a bill for a repair that you could've done yourself, but it's better than letting the house freeze
If you have a neighbour that you're friendly with, close enough to make that viable. Some people live in some remote places.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok well I started to realize that the longer I went back and forth about whether to replace it, the less time I'd have running the new igniter while I'm still home to be able to make sure it's working well, so I just went ahead and replaced it. Good for the first start at least. (y) I will probably still record a video of it starting up so you guys can say if anything seems off. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
when are you leaving ? stuff like this you do weeks before, so you are there to keep an eye on it. same for car repairs
Probably in about a week. Too late, it's done now. Just decided to get it over with so I have as much time as possible to make sure it's good before I leave. And with the delicate nature of the igniters, no way I'm swapping back to the old one now.

·
Registered
14,706 Posts
a week is good. save the old one, unless you mishandled it, its still good. put it in the box the new one came in and leave it by the furnace. i just installed a new furnace, and i already have a spare HSI and other parts on hand.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
For a large number of ignitors, or any piece of equipment, the failure rate follows the “bathtub curve” shown below, with a higher “infant mortality” rate at the beginning than later on in life. You have to make an estimate, based on the anticipated lifetime of an ignitor, where your unit is along that curve. I wouldn’t replace a piece of equipment that is operating normally and is critical to heating the house, just before going away.

Slope Plot Organism Rectangle Font

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
Are you saying because of the potential to damage the new one installing it? Is it that common for a brand new one to fail quickly due to mishandling or being defective out of the box?
I was saying there's a risk of shattering the old igniter when removing it and shattering the new one when installing it.

Very fragile, but you later said you replaced it with no issues.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts