DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are lots of leaves in my yard. See the attached pictures. I want to rake them off the lawn and dump into the cracks of the rocks. My house sits on a small hill of about 1 acre and there are lots of big rocks.

Question is: Will the leaves decompose themselves if I dump them amongst the rocks?

There is a also small woods on my lot. The trees are mulched, now covered with a layer of leaves. Can I just leave the leaves alone and let them fertilize the trees?

Basically, I am trying to do as little as possible.

Thanks if you have some serious advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
37,261 Posts
Why rake them?
Use your mower to both blow them and compost them in the direction you want them to go.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I have a lot of leaves and I mean a lot. Mowers aren't option. I have a pile in the back of yard. Every fall after I finding cleaning up leaves it is 7 feet high, 30 feet long and 10 feet deep. This is in addition to 1000 cubic feet of leaves I don't have room for and they get carted to the town compost drop off. By the time next fall comes around the pile has shrunk to about three feet deep . Twenty years ago this was flat land, so it grows a bit each year. I take some out and use in the gardena

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Usually there is someone local that will take them for composting. Do you have anyone in your area that will come and take them off your hands? I don't think mixing them among the rocks is such a good option. Seems to me that rain and wind will find a way to move them out from among the rocks back onto your yard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts