DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building an 8x16 lean to shed and have conflicting plan on the roof (2x4x10 vs. 2x6x10) from the plans and from various websites. The height difference is 2 feet (10 high/8 low), which I think is a 3:12 pitch on an 8 ft span. I don't want a full overhang. Perhaps 1-2" from the roof decking boards. Our biggest snow at one time is usually no more than 10 inches. Wind is not a great factor.

Can I used 2x4x10 on 24" centers? Or do I need to go to 2x6x10?

Thanks

·
retired framer
53,639 Posts
You might get away with 2x4 but for the extra cost I would go with 2x6 and be sure you have a good roof.
If you are doing 24" OC be sure to use H clips between the rafters to tie the sheets together.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
With 2x4s on an 8' span, you're probably ok for 10" of snow (18"-20" maybe not), as long as you get Douglas Fir, Spruce, yellow pine, etc. and avoid the 'whitewood' crap. However, where you'll have to be careful is with the weight of a person on the roof. 200 lbs in the middle of a 2x4 spanning 8' has a good chance of ending painfully, even if it's Doug Fir.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Most codes are online and have tables for rafter sizing. It depends on the species of wood, span and expected load. Your specific snow zone matters. One size doesn’t fit all. Is it a freestanding one slope shed or is one side “leaning” on an existing building?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most codes are online and have tables for rafter sizing. It depends on the species of wood, span and expected load. Your specific snow zone matters. One size doesn’t fit all. Is it a freestanding one slope shed or is one side “leaning” on an existing building?
It is a freestanding shed. I tried a couple of code charts and calculators but wasn't clear on it. We are in SE Michigan/Detroit. I imagine 2x6 is the safer way to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts