DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I started a lean-to I thought was pretty simple for a DIY. Turns out not so much. Had inspection and need help on how to fix without losing rafters.
IMG_2916.jpg
100_2147.JPG
100_2146.JPG

·
retired framer
59,935 Posts
He didn't complain about the fact you didn't cut into the siding so you could do flashing later.

Post a picture of bottom of the posts holding up the beam.

·
retired framer
59,935 Posts
Nealboy You have not even come close to answering my question about fixing the issues presented. Terrible chat.

Sir, you want a new plan of action. Plans start with information.
What ever plan that you have used so far did not have enough information in it or you would not be here.

There is no easy answer and some change of plans would be needed if you don't to just start over with a new plan.

I can't change a plan if I don't know what the plan was.

Good luck.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,144 Posts
Nealboy You have not even come close to answering my question about fixing the issues presented. Terrible chat.
With an attitude like that, you will get very little help.

The simple answer is that you have lost money on this as is.

Those rafters are useless now for this application.

remove them, pile them in a save for something else pile.

Get new rafters, and proper hangers, and redo this correctly.

As per the inspectors directions.

And as Neal tried gently to tell you, built without any flashing, as it is, you are asking for rot in a year or two, do you really want to be repairing this often?

If not, listen to the voice of experience, and waterproof it.

ED

·
retired framer
59,935 Posts
@Brian#1234
two possibilities to talk to the inspector about.

A. Raise the roof or lower the beam cut a flat bottom on the rafter, move the beam or beam and posts 3 or 4 inches closer to the house.

B Leave it as is and cut a flat bottom on the rafters and a block above the beam and add hangers

With out knowing more about the roof and pitch can't plan the other end.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Make sure you have the proper angle on the rafter so it will abut tight to the wall.

Whatever the space is between the rafter and ledger, cut that amount from the front of the birds mouth and slide the rafter up into the tie to abut tight against the ledger.

The space left between the birds mouth and the beam can be filled with a sheet of plywood. Rip the plywood so it will fill the gap and still receive the tie for the birds mouth. This will also make it stronger.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.