DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a quarter turn key shut off (like a street main shut off) being used as a shut off for a sprinkler system. The valve is about 40 inches below ground. It is in a concrete tube about a foot in diameter with a 10 inch metal lid. Obviously there is no way to reach it without digging it up. The problem is it is leaking at the top around the rotating turn off. My question is ... is there a nut on the bottom similar to a gas shut off which can be tightened to pull it snug again?
The valve doesn't appear to have stops on it which would allow me to rotate the valve all the way around. My hope is (if there is a nut on the bottom) that I can spin the valve and tighten the nut on the bottom , if the nut grabs and doesn't spin with the valve. A lot of "ifs" I have been unable to find a full picture of a key type water valve anywhere on the web. Any of you plumbers out there who can give me hope or dash them by telling me I have to dig.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
All valves that have a shaft coming out, need something to seal the shaft. It usually is a compression type seal that can be controlled by a nut. I don't know if those valves have such a seal. They also use o-ring seals. If that is the case, no compression nut.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts