DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm a new member. I bought my house a year ago with a "new" water heater and noticed water continually pooling in the pan under the WH. The pan has a drain hose that goes thru the wall and drains to the outside so I can't know exactly how much water is collecting. There is obviously a leak somewhere, and the bottom of the WH is rusting pretty badly. It seems that the water is coming from the nozzle at the bottom but when i feel it, it is dry. See attached photo. Can anyone help me out?

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'd say, from the looks of the photo, that it's time to replace the water heater. Inspect your plumbing and repair as needed while installing the new water heater.

Even if you find a leak on the existing unit and repair it, the tank is rusting and at risk for causing a lot more damage than the current leak.

Good luck!

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,460 Posts
Every water heater was "new' at one time. This looks like long ago for the one pictured.

So I would bite the bullet and replace it, and get all the plumbing near it corrected at the same time.

Sorry to burst your bubble on "new", but it is a reality that we all face eventually.

ED

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Please post the make and serial number of the heater for the manufacture date code. That way we can see if any warranty applies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts