DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My water heater is leaking, I have water in the pan, and some on the floor as well.

Are there usually simple fixes for this, or is it more likely the thing is shot.

The energy saver sticker says 1994 on it, is that the year it was made?

TIA

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
My water heater is leaking, I have water in the pan, and some on the floor as well.

Are there usually simple fixes for this, or is it more likely the thing is shot.

The energy saver sticker says 1994 on it, is that the year it was made?

TIA
pictures are worth 1000 words or in your case an answer to your question..ben sr

·
Premium Member
8,028 Posts
Well, I'll say it since no one else has yet........the water heater has surpassed its lifespan, especially if it received little or no maintenance over the years. You're talking almost 20 years of service and the tank is likely deteriorating from the INSIDE OUT. Time to bite the bullet and get a new one. If it's electric you can get a replacement from your electrical service provider and make monthly payments. If it's gas, I'm sure the gas co. also has a similar program. Worth looking into.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dang, OK the big question, tank or tankless? (for gas)

I know its been brought up here before, whats the latest on these, early on tankless weren't that popular because no one knew how to service them.

·
Premium Member
12,447 Posts
Dang, OK the big question, tank or tankless? (for gas)

I know its been brought up here before, whats the latest on these, early on tankless weren't that popular because no one knew how to service them.
You'll get opinions both ways. There are several pros & cons threads here that address this. Perhaps try a site search.
Two big things to consider- Will your current gas supply handle it- Probably not.
How long are you willing to wait for the pay back from the cost of the tankless unit and gas piping

·
Premium Member
12,447 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
abefroman said:
What size piping should I have for the tankless?

Currently I have half inch, which comes off a 3/4 inch, about 5 feet up and 3 feet over.
You'll need to have your gas piping assessed as a system to see if it can handle the load. Even if you had a 3/4" line to the water heater, it wouldn't necessarily mean you have enough capacity. Also, your gas meter and/or regulator may not be able to supply the demand for a tankless. I install larger meters and higher pressure regulators regularly because people have tankless water heaters installed.

·
registered
1,354 Posts
Time for new water heater. Just put back what you have. OR spend more and go tank-less. There are alot of internal components to a tank-less. Not to mention they fire at higher BTU so gas line needs to be verified.

·
Doing it myself
3,838 Posts

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
1. Do you have a well?
2. Is your water acidic?
3. What is the incoming Temperature?
4. Do you have NG Available at high volume?
5. What are your daily demands?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.