DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hot water is dripping from the shower head. I know there is probably a washer that needs to be changed, but, I can't do that for multiple reasons. The apartments will be torn down in the coming months and the manager/owner will not want to spend the money, plus other reasons. I can't turn off the handle any more than I have with a plumber's wrench.

Is there a shower head, spray attachment or the like that will keep the water in? I only see really useful ones with on/off valves that actually stop water flow, in the garden. I'd rather not buy several attachments trying to see what works. I want to be able to use the shower.

Any good advice? Thanks!

·
Registered
12,604 Posts
Are you trying to cap it off so the shower head won't work permanently, or temporarily so you can use it occasionally?

·
Contractor/Engineer
2,081 Posts
Off Topic - a little.

I once had a landlord client that had me go and replace shower cartridges every few months as they kept getting destroyed by the tenants due to a bothersome drip. I kept teaching the tenants how to turn off a faucet - just turn until you feel modest resistance... but no, a couple of months later I'd be back changing the cartridge - again.

The actual problem was the "rainfall" shower head - nice, upscale, soothing. BALONEY. Anyhow, it seems when the tenant would turn off the water, the shower head would still contain a significant quantity of water and slowly air would sneak into the head and the head would then release a single drip. After ten or so drips, the tenant would return to the shower and kill the cartridge thinking that a modern ceramic/viton/nylon cartridge assembly required additional torque to close off the water flow. Alas...

Eventually I convinced the landlord to step down to a good "old fashioned" full-flow, big holed shower head that simply drained quickly and stopped dripping FAST.

·
Registered
25,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will be buying one today, I hope. It's pretty humid in here with the hot water dripping continuously.

Is there no extended shower sprayer ( I can't think of the term) that won't drip?

·
Registered
25,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Off Topic - a little.

I once had a landlord client that had me go and replace shower cartridges every few months as they kept getting destroyed by the tenants due to a bothersome drip. I kept teaching the tenants how to turn off a faucet - just turn until you feel modest resistance... but no, a couple of months later I'd be back changing the cartridge - again.

The actual problem was the "rainfall" shower head - nice, upscale, soothing. BALONEY. Anyhow, it seems when the tenant would turn off the water, the shower head would still contain a significant quantity of water and slowly air would sneak into the head and the head would then release a single drip. After ten or so drips, the tenant would return to the shower and kill the cartridge thinking that a modern ceramic/viton/nylon cartridge assembly required additional torque to close off the water flow. Alas...

Eventually I convinced the landlord to step down to a good "old fashioned" full-flow, big holed shower head that simply drained quickly and stopped dripping FAST.
I think restricted flow may be required in California. Sink & shower. I take them off.

·
Premium Member
3,606 Posts
I will be buying one today, I hope. It's pretty humid in here with the hot water dripping continuously.

Is there no extended shower sprayer ( I can't think of the term) that won't drip?
[/

Only thing I found with a quick search. You can google "shower head with shut off" and see if you like any.

Amazon.com: EZ-FLO 15021 Water-Saving Shower Head with Shut-Off, 1/2 inch FIP, Chrome : Everything Else

·
Registered
25,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was wondering if any of these "shower sprayers" actually would hold the drips in? I really don't want to buy one and find out it doesn't.

Oh, maybe both? A shut-off with a male end and a shower-sprayer?

(Seven kinds of water flow? What next!🤣)

·
Registered
12,604 Posts
If your problem is a leaking valve, you need a secondary valve downstream of it to prevent drips. Without such a thing, the shower head will just keep drip drip dripping. That sprayer has no valve; it's effectively just a shower head on a hose.

Something like this may help, as it has a shutoff on the handle. IME they still usually drip a little bit with full power, but if you only need to worry about the drip drip drip, the handle shutoff may very well work for you.
White Technology Audio equipment Auto part Circle
Nickel Cylinder Auto part Metal Illustration
Product Automotive tire Font Automotive lighting Auto part

·
Contractor/Engineer
2,081 Posts
Hmmm. If you don't want to buy anything... Tie a string on the head where the water is dripping from, let the loose end of the string hit the drain/pan. The drips will silently run down the string to the drain. We used to do this for rain gutter that would constantly drip as condensation on the roof would get into the gutter and then slooooooowly drip and CLUNK when they hit the end of the downspout.

·
Premium Member
3,606 Posts
Do you mean in conjunction with the string or the shower sprayer?

I lost my car keys, but, they've been found, so now I can buy the piece you recommended & maybe more.
If you need to stop the leak and have a handheld sprayer, you need both items I mentioned.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts