DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

We had flagstone installed on our porch last year and I'm noticing now that a) some of the pieces are falling off (Doesn't look like the mortar is holding) and b) my cold cellar which is right below my porch is having quite a bit of water come leaking into it.

I haven't sealed it yet, but is it normal for this to happen? Is the water leaking through the sand mortar? Will the sealing of it stop this?

Much thanks
Tim

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
Sealing flag stone will not stop water from passing through---Pictures--or a better description is needed---Mike----

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
just another instance where posting your LOCATION ( as asked by the forum registration ) would be a boon to responders,,, nevertheless, mortar is NOT generally not waterproof but neither is conc,,, any waterproofing shouldda been done PRIOR to installing the flag :yes:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry everyone, I am new here and not sure why I didn't put my location. Just updated...

Here is a picture. Can't quite make it out, but basically these were reputable guys that we hired since they were already in our area. They did our porch in flagstone and it looks like there are sections that have little openings, but what I don't understand is that it never leaked before with our regular concrete porch....This flagstone was just installed on top of the existing porch...Just wondering if I should caulk it...

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
Stand back and take an overall shot of the porch.

If the old concrete porch is the ceiling of the room below---the work might have disturbed some waterproofing below the stone.

It is also possible that the new height of the stone is allowing water to get under the door sill-----tell us more about the room under the porch,please.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are a couple more pictures. They told me to wait a year and then seal it. They are also coming back because a few of the stones have fallen off (Not too impressed with their work to be honest)...I'm new to stone work, so I'm not sure how it should look. Something tells me the mortar or grout shouldn't look like how it does...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.