DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have under my sink what I believe is a BrassCraft water shut off valve that is leaking. As a first step, I thought that I would tighten the packing nut, but I can't find it. Is it behind the knob/handle; and, if so, how do I remove the knob/handle as there is no screw to unscrew? Just pull it? I have attached a picture of the valve.

Thanks for any help,
John

Attachments

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
Pop off the plastic cap in the center, top of the handle, the screws under it.
Someone also used pipe tape on that compression fitting, it's not needed.

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,121 Posts
Thanks all, but before attempting to replace the valve, I'd like to try to stop the leak by tightening the packing nut. However, I can't find it!

John
Some of those cheap stops do not have packing nuts. The only fix is replacement.

Reactions: de-nagorg

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
The original compression nut and the brass washer on the copper tube do not have to be replaced. Replace with new valve and use the old nut and washer. After whole house water is shut off, open the valve and drain. If you replace quickly enough, 100% draining is not necessary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry for the necropost, but I have one of these valves that is leaking too. Is there any possible way to tighten the packing or quick fix the leaking without replacing it?

40 year old pipes... afraid if I start torquing it, the pipe will twist off in my hand.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Welcome to the forum perrier.

Best to start a new post of your own rather than piggy backing off an old one. You will get better results. When you start the new post, include some pictures of your shut off valve so the plumbers can give you better and more accurate advice. Thank you.

You might get lucky tightening it. I doubt it. When dealing with 40 plus year old shut off fixtures, it's best to replace them imo. Sharkbyte push on fittings are available for easy fixing.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I was painting the laundry room this winter and had the same thing happen. Brasscraft valve leaking when I turned off the supply to remove the laundry sink. Went to HD. They sell just the valves and if you are penny wise, they actually have a Brasscraft rebuild kit for under two bucks. I splurged and paid seven dollars each for two new valves . Only one had a small drip, but replaced both.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry for the necropost, but I have one of these valves that is leaking too. Is there any possible way to tighten the packing or quick fix the leaking without replacing it?

40 year old pipes... afraid if I start torquing it, the pipe will twist off in my hand.
I had one leaking took off thought was chinch comnection. Wrong valve had weak spot push easy with screwdriver opened up a hole. That was my leak.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.