DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw some blisters on the drywall underneath the window and it had a musty smell. A handyman came over and caulked the external wood siding but he couldn't go inside given the restrictions with COVID-19. He advised me to open the drywall and wait for rain to see if the leak have stopped.

I opened the drywall (see pictures), removed bat insulation, and now I see the board insulation with foil.

1- Can I cut the damaged insulation board, located between the studs, and replace it with a new one from the inside, or is something that needs to be done from the external wall outside? I think the smell is coming from this damaged piece.

2- Is there anything else I should do or check for while I wait for rain?

Any help is appreciated.

(left side)

(right side)

·
retired framer
59,898 Posts
I would not be afraid of replacing it from the inside, it is not structural and you do want all the wood to dry out before replacing anything.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Attachments

·
retired framer
59,898 Posts
I would say they are 5-7 years old.

I would also be checking the window frames to make sure there isn't a crack in the weep pathways on them. We see the larger and harder to handle units get more often damaged and the leak can be internal.

The people that sell and install replacements here don't know best practice or code. They leak from day one and take some time to show up like this.

The metal trim is a red flag to me.

·
retired framer
59,898 Posts
Window is one year old. It was installed by a contractor before I bought the home.
Imagine that.

This what we do with new and the replacement isn't as easy but they should be at least attempting to get the water out. Even this has bean improved a little since they did the video.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imagine that.

This what we do with new and the replacement isn't as easy but they should be at least attempting to get the water out. Even this has bean improved a little since they did the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2VOrk1MuWY

I will consider this an option in case this doesn't fix it. What is the best way to cut the damaged insulation board? it's rigid and dry. Also, my guess is that it would be tough to replace it with another rigid piece, would a softer insulation board work?

·
retired framer
59,898 Posts
I will consider this an option in case this doesn't fix it. What is the best way to cut the damaged insulation board? it's rigid and dry. Also, my guess is that it would be tough to replace it with another rigid piece, would a softer insulation board work?
If it is dry I would leave it it won't rot or anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.