DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Old Hand
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered a leak under the tub where the horizontal pipe is attached with the nut to the joint for the drain. Note the "garbage that is stuck to the pipe where the nut/ferrule is joined. When I tried to tighten the nut, the leak got worse. Since there is no clearance/area to move the pipe, it appears I may have to take out the drain pipe from the tub and then reinstall this with a union (if there is room). Any other suggestions would be appreciated. (2 photos attached).

·
Old Hand
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is photo: Updated information

I noticed that the nut is cracked on the photo; went back to look and sure enough, it is split. I believe I will have to take out entire assembly from tub to joint connection; not sure how I will reinstall with no clearance. Photo now included (sorry, did not see I had to resize). Thanks,

Attachments

·
retired elect/hvac/plumb
2,921 Posts
remove strainer from bottem of tub ,youll need a tool called a dumbell and a big cresent wrench to to turn it from top side of tub.
any hardware store should sell one.
you might be better off to just buy a new waste/overflow assembly while youre at it since your bottem gasket apears to be gone ,somebody just packed it with plumbers putty.
buy a little bucket of plumbers putty for top side reinstall,hardware guy can explain

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Plummen is offering a good solution---you will also need a 'trap adapter' for the pipe if you decide to add a new tub drain set---

1 - 5 of 5 Posts